Monday, November 20, 2006

Have a Holly, Jolly.....Thanksgiving?!?

Call me crazy, but isn't it a bit too early for the radio to be playing Christmas carols?

I always have the classical music station playing in my kid's rooms, but on Saturday nights I switch it to another channel because they play religious music in the morning and it sounds kind of scary to a small kid sometimes. So, I happened to change it to Oldies 103. (Which, for the record should not be playing songs from the 70s and 80s - those are not oldies! But I digress...)

As I was making my son's bed yesterday, the voice of Brenda Lee singing "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree" rang out from the radio and it stopped me in my tracks. Christmas music? Before Thanksgiving?!?!? That's unheard of outside of retail stores! And I then I heard that they've been playing this music since the day after Halloween. Halloween!?!?!?

I thought there was some "unwritten rule" that the Christmas music playing on the radio started on Thanksgiving Day? Isn't that when all the radio stations kick into holiday gear and we hear "Jingle Bells" in every variety known to man until New Year's Day? Don't get me wrong....I love Christmas music. Love, love, love it. But in Autumn.....?

The thing is - there's no buildup for Christmas anymore. Thanksgiving used to be the official send in for the holiday season. At the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Santa ushers in the beginning of the Christmas season. If it's going to be pushed back to Halloween - well, we'll all be bored of Christmas before it even gets here! And what fun will that be? It's that magic and surprise of childhood - the innocence of it all - that is being taken away by making the season be something other than what it's always been, which is the end of the year and the introduction of winter.

Take Old Jack Frost, Santa Claus, and the first elusive snowfall of the season....add in Christmas carols with a cup of hot cocoa and a roaring fire - and that my friends....is a holiday season.

6 comments:

Peter N said...

Hello you....and with all the XMAS decorations up every which way I turn..left, right, up and down...it's no surprise. Happy and healthy holiday to you and yours Rebecca.

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

Yeah, it's disgusting. It's not like most stores and radio stations will even acknowlege that there is a Christmas...God forbid we offend someone who doesn't celebrate "that" holiday!

As for the roaring fire, I prefer mine with champagne, Marvin Gaye music and a faux bearskin rug! :)

Rebecca said...

hahaha, that's so funny that it bothers so many people to say "holiday" season. I don't understand that... there IS more than just one holiday during the months of Nov - December.... ;)

chesneygirl said...

There is a Detroit radio station that starts playing Christmas music every year on Nov 1st. Not only do they start playing...it is the ONLY music they play 24/7.

And since I'm right between Detroit and Toledo...I also receive Toledo stations and there is a Toledo station that does the same thing....continuous Xmas music starting 11/1.

Christmas isn't about kids and magic anymore....it's all about the $$$$$ now. :(

Martie said...

Exactly!!! Let's bring back the traditionl Christmas beginning and not lose sight of what Christimas is really all about! There's still room for Santa, the reindeer, Frosty the Snowman and all the rest. And Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas, what's the difference. It's still wishing everyone good cheer and happiness, although I do agree that we shouldn't be forced into dropping the word "Christmas" just because we might offend someone!!

EB said...

Hey there!
I agree - and with the weather being so warm here on the east coast this last month - it certainly doesn't feel cold enough to be Thanksgiving this week! I turned on the Christmas music station and literally had to turn it off because I just wasn't feelin' it! Hoping that once I decorate the house and the kids start to write their letters to Santa that will bring in the holiday cheer!