Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hey baby....what's your sign?

I don't usually pay much attention to the "horror-scopes" posted on my Google customized home page, but for some reason, today's caught my eye.

Today's Horoscope for Virgo (August 23 - September 22)

"The urge to procrastinate is nearly irresistible, but fight it! Hesitation only leads to more doubts. Take action, even if it's only small or symbolic. That'll put your heart's desires on the fast track to success."

Clearly, whomever writes horoscopes for Virgo - doesn't know me very well. Procrastination....Me?!?

Virgo's Snack Choices

"You won't find health-conscious Virgo tearing through a huge plate of nachos. This sign prefers a snack that is both wholesome and filling. Soy nuts are just the ticket for a hungry Virgoan. Choose the kind with no artificial flavoring and preservatives, please. This sign treats their body like a temple, even when it comes to snacks!"

Okay, first of all - load up the nachos, please with extra guacamole, chili and sour cream! Soy nut?!?! Are you crazy?!?! Peanuts is more like it! While I do enjoy working out..... and enjoy eating properly - please, I prefer to indulge and be decadent!

This is why I never understand why people live and die by their horoscopes in the daily paper. I know people who can't function without checking their horoscope daily. While sometimes, the generalization about the personality type that goes with the sign can be spot on....this day to day generalization of what is or isnt' happening in one's life is just that. A generalized prediction based upon a generic generalization about a potential personality type. It's not real life, and it's funny how some people are just riveted to reading what their horoscope says and then melding their life into having it fit.

It must be some obsession we have about knowing more about who we are. Don't get me wrong, I love it at times too. I love reading about the Virgo personality and seeing how I do or don't match up....who's my "best" most compatible love sign.....who is the "worst".

I guess for me, it boils down to the aspect of not wanting to know what lies ahead of me that day. I'd rather embrace the day wide eyed, ready for surprises and not thinking about how I should be thinking or feeling. I don't have to have it all micromanaged and planned in advance.

Which, might I add.....clearly isn't very Virgo of me!

6 comments:

Peter N said...

Hi there..and I feel the same way. Life is so much more than a horoscope written by a stranger. Sag, by the way. A December child.

Anonymous said...

I am a Pisces. I am fishy.

Anonymous said...

HorrorScopes. Yep, that's what I call them.

At Starbucks last week they asked if I wanted to try a free sample of their chai. I told them I like their chai and it wasn't necessary. They told me this one was made with soy.

I looked at them with suspicion while taking a drink. One look at my face and the manager blurted, "Don't spit it on the floor." *sigh*

I don't pay good money for stuff that doesn't taste the way I want it. Nachos all the way! :o)

Take care,

Tim (formerly Sojourner)

terpening.typepad.com

Martie said...

All those horror scopes lie anyway.....hee hee

chesneygirl said...

I very rarely ever read mine (Leo).
When I do it's just to see how wrong it is...hahahaha

Anonymous said...

Reading this made me HUNGRY!

I used to read horoscopes but now I realize they are a bunch of BS. LOL.

Hope you are feeling better!