Sunday, November 26, 2006

City mouse....Country Mouse....

I spent a few days up in North Country over this holiday. No, not Canada....but close enough!

We went to Santa's Village and then to the Rock's Estate Christmas Tree farm in Bethlehem, NH. The kids absolutely loved it! I'd never been to Santa's Village either, and I was pretty impressed. But, the farm was my very favorite part. The craft fair with all sorts of homemade foods, the burning fire pit for roasting marshmellows.....the hay ride and the sweet, sweet smell of Christmas trees filling the air. That is my kind of day.

What I loved most though....was where we were. And the ride to get there. While some might argue that there isn't much to look at, for me - that was what I liked about it. Driving on a one lane road between two mountains, with not a house or building in clear sight - just the shadows of one way off in the hills. While I've been to NH, Maine and VT many times - I haven't been someplace quite this rural. It was so quiet....and peaceful. It's hard to believe that we all share the same sky sometimes, because it is just so clear and bright the further away from the city that you go. I don't think I've seen the night quite so black and so crisp against the twinkling of the stars in all of my life. Or maybe it's just that I appreciate it more now.....

I know there are advantages to growing up in the city, but I've always felt I should've been a country girl. To me, everything just is cleaner and fresh; the food tastes better... a night's sleep is deeper. To have wildlife and nature surround you and enjoy life's quiet and simple things. You can always go to the city; but to come home to the country, just seems special to me. Sure, maybe it all wears off or is just not noticeable when you grow up or live amongst it at all, just as you become jaded living in the city.

And while the only downside was the fact that the closest Dunkin Donuts was 10 miles away or so....(imagine the horror?!?) it still made me wistful to be able to live someplace else.


I guess it's true that the grass always greener on the other side.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, there's nothing quite like the open night sky in the country, is there? I could - I have stared at that sky for an hour, just wondering at the whole thing.

chesneygirl said...

When I was about 8 years old we took a family vacation to the New England area...VT, MA, ME....I don't remember much but I do remember how beautiful the mountains and scenery were!

I have a little bit of both in me...city girl...and country girl. I can't decide which I am more of! hahahaha!

EB said...

oooooo - Santa's Village!
I haven't been there since I was small! Were you able to make it up there and back in a day trip with the kids? What a great idea!