Monday, June 16, 2008

I have never...

In all my years as an adult, I have never been spoken to in as condescending and disrespectful a manner as I was to today. The last time I had any kind of issue at work was 15 years ago - and even then I was treated better than I was today.

And I absolutely told her so after she was done.

I don't think she was expecting that. I think she really expected me to sit there and let her talk down to me. I practically laughed at some portions of her speech. Here's the thing - I am so okay with owning my mistakes if they're made. I'm not perfect nor do I pretend to be, so if I've made a mistake, I'm sorry - and I will try not to do it again. But if they haven't been made - and you're going to try to paint me in a corner just because you don't like me (which still blows me away since today was the first time we've met) - be prepared because I do not go down easily.

I have never seen a person try so hard to be professional, yet come across so unprofessionally.

For over 45 minutes afterwards, my task lead was trying to get me to say that I wouldn't quit. I never said that I would; but he saw how I was treated, and how I stood up for myself -and he sees the difference in treatment between employees and just sort of thought I might say "I'm all set with this."

And I still might be. But it will be on my terms....not hers.

Oh, she has no clue as to what she's in for.
I haven't been this angry in years.

Success is the best revenge.....

5 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

I had something similar happen once. I worked at a car dealership & had a boss with a major chip on his shoulder. He was the youngest of three managing partners & it was like he had something to prove. And he would talk down to me all the time. Well one day he crossed the line & screamed at me (every other word prefixed with 'effing') in the middle of a full showroom. I sat in stony silence. Later when he was in one of the finance offices by himself, I walked in & shut the door. In a very icy voice, I told him "Don't you ever speak to me that way again. I don't curse at you. I don't speak disrespectfully to you. What you yelled at me for, I have zero control over & I would be happy to explain why if you would have approached me professionally. When I do mess up, I admit it immediately & do my best to correct it if I can. If you have an issue with me, you can at least give me the courtesy of pulling me into an office & closing the door, and *speaking* to me without yelling or cursing, and certainly not in a showroom full of customers & my co-workers. If you ever treat me like that again, I will walk right out the door & not look back." (Mind you this happened when we had fired our other showroom coordinator & I was working 7 days a week, 9am-10pm until we could find a replacement. I was two weeks into that madness & it would be almost another two weeks before we had someone hired & trained enough to work without me.) He didn't apologize but he did go out of his way to treat me very nicely, bought me lunch *and* dinner the entire rest of that two weeks of hell schedule, and gave me a week off with pay (not dipping into my vacation time) after the new girl was trained. It never happened again & we actually got along amazingly well after that. There would be special side projects that he would need assistance with & he would ask me to help & we would work at the conference table in his office, laughing the whole time. Everyone else was still really intimidated by him & couldn't figure out why I wasn't, but I think it came down to the fact that I stood up for myself.

Whew. World's longest comment. LOL! I hope your situation works out as successfully even if not the same way.

Nichole M said...

Oh, I can't *stand* it when people are condescending in that in-still-being-professional tone of voice. It pisses me off more than just coming out and yelling. Hope she gets her comeuppance... and you either get to deliver it or watch.

Rebecca said...

LOL, Nichole truthfully - she wasn't in that professional tone. She was definitely raised voice....and tried to be in that tone, but it didn't work very well. Totally unprofessional.

And Dawn, truthfully - I don't hope to be with this company long enough to win them over. I'm so done. I'm so all set with their "management style".

Thanks you guys.... ;)

~**Dawn**~ said...

Success doesn't necessarily mean you stay. It just means you get the last laugh. ;-) I am no longer with said company either. Not even in the same state. But I get occasional emails asking me when I am moving back & do I want a job. BAHAHAHAHAHA. No thanks.

Anonymous said...

Who cares?