Monday, February 04, 2008

.....Wow.

Hmmm. And that's really all I have to say about last night's game.

Okay, that's not entirely true.
First of all, I knew it wasn't going to be a good night when I saw the
red hoodie. Red?? Since when does Bill Belicheck not wear his grey
hoodie?
Here's the thing. In my opinion, our defense -which has been suspect
all season - really was ineffective last night. And funny thing is,
last year our defensive line was really not that great; this year it
wasn't as noticeable because our offense was THAT good. But wow, was it
noticeable last night.


"Bend but don't break" worked until the 4th quarter. And then it
snapped in half didn't it. When you think about it, despite how "off"
the offense was last night - and let's be honest, this was not one of
Tom Brady's best games, even when he had coverage to make plays -- the
defense really failed in the 4th quarter.


My rose colored glasses want to say "Yes, but they still went 18-0 and
we know that on any given Sunday things can change!". But that doesn't
erase the fact that this was a major letdown, and what may be considered
the biggest (gulp) "choke" in NFL history.


So it's a sad day in New England...to say the least.
Even chocolate covered peanut butter can't reach the "happy place"
inside today.

2 comments:

Martie said...

I haven't watched a Superbowl game in years.........some how they just don't seem important to me anymore.........no matter who's playing! (Shrug) I didn't even miss not seeing the commercials.......perhaps a sign that I'm aging faster than I realized!

Hugs

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

I have to disagree. The defense only gave up 17 points which is half of what they gave up last time they played the Giants.

The problem was the offensive line got destroyed leaving Brady unprotected.

Add to that Belichick's uncharacteristic poor coaching job (who goes for it on 4 and 13 in field goal range when you are ahead?).

Finally, it was obvious from the intros that the Giants wanted it far more than New England. They played with fire and passion, something our team used to have.