Monday, February 25, 2008

A little Oscar "pre-post" talk....Part I

So, I only watched the Oscars up to the Best Supporting Actor last night.  It's on DVR and so I plan to finish it this evening.

However, I did watch two Oscar winning movies throughout the day:  "The Godfather", and "The Departed".  And I also watched some of the Oscar pre-show before watching "The Departed", so while I haven't seen the show in it's entirety I do have some thoughts.  So my first collection of them are as follows:


The dresses From what I saw, everyone really called up classic Hollywood glamour.  Amazingly gorgeous.  Truly stunning.  I can't think of one celebrity that I saw where I thought "ewww.  Bad choice…."  Cate Blanchett -- love love love her.  Everything about her.  She's so simple, elegant and understated in what she chooses that she looks impeccable, always.  Jennifer Garner looked spectacular last night as well. 


The Nominees:  Outside of those whom I've seen their previous work, I truly can not comment.  Outside of "Rattitouile" - I saw not one of the nominated films.  But, I'm looking forward to seeing many of them "On Demand".


The host:  I love Jon Stewart's dry sarcasm anyway, and I really thought he did a great job.  The beginning when referring to the Writer's Strike fell a bit flat, but from there on up to the point I shut it off - he did really well.  Very funny.  Looking forward to watching the remainder.


Which brings me to my thoughts on "The Departed".  Truth be told, I didn't love this movie the first time I saw it.  I'm overly critical when it comes to actors forcing Boston accents; that always rubs me the wrong way.  I'd much rather watch a movie set in Boston and have no on speak with an accent, than watching it and having some have one - some not so much - and that really takes me out of a movie.  (Think "Robin Hood" with Kevin Costner.  Everyone else speaks in Olde English -- except Robin Hood. Um, Hello..?!?!).  Boston accents are difficult - even for those of us natives who have spent years perfecting the art of masking it - its difficult to force.  It either comes natural, or it doesn't.  So the first go round of the movie I was having a hard time enjoying it because the accents and forcing of them fell too harsh on my ear and pulled me out of the movie.  But by the second time, I got past it and really enjoyed it. 

Alec Baldwin is such an amazing actor, and one who I think is entirely underappreciated by many audiences.  He steals just about every scene he is ever in - no matter what show it is.  He was also one of my favorite "Inside the Actor's Studio" interviews.   Love him.

Leonardo DiCaprio has grown on me.  Never one of my favorites, it's only been since "The Aviator" that I've really grown to love Leo.  I mean I loved "Titanic" but more so for Kate Winslet He was outstanding in "The Aviator", and really just so good in "The Departed".

Matt Damon.  I have to say, I've loved every movie he's ever done.  One of my all time favorites being "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (with my very favorite character actor Philip Seymour Hoffman -- love love love him!  I cant' stress enough how much I dig PSH.  Loved seeing him in the front row last night!!!)  I always say I'm not a big fan of Matt Damon's but that's not entirely true.  It's just that I don't "dig him" in that girlish ga-ga way.  He's just not my type…

I have to say I love everything Mark Wahlberg does as well.  Though I didn't necessarily think his performance in that movie was Oscar caliber… (sorry Mark!)

And of course, "the Man" Jack Nicholson.  Ever since seeing my all time favorite movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", I can't think of a movie that I haven't loved him in.  Can you???  Because truly, even the "flops" (Witches of Eastwick) - he's just awesome in.

Every time an award show comes on, I still can't help but wonder what my life might've been like had I fully pursued the opportunity - or even if Boston was the "hotbed" for acting that it is today.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

OMG!!! I absolutely loved "The Departed"!!! I agree DiCaprio isn't one of my favorite actors, but he is very impressive in this movie. Damon, strong performance and plays the bad guy so well! Mark Wahlberg, is just stellar, I love his acting and his character in this movie. Baldwin! Baldwin had me in stitches. Here are my 3 best lines from "The Departed" (all have Baldwin in it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTaVxTmB5k4

A lot of people didn't like the ending. It thought it fit the movie, it was just hard core.

BTW... I just saw "Gone Baby Gone" a couple weeks ago. Wow, another great Boston-based movie. I'm a huge Morgan Freeman fan and I'll tell you what, Casey Affleck delivered a very strong performance. Most of all is the performance by Amy Ryan, who plays the drug-addicted mother. She should have won the Oscar last night. Ben Affleck actually thought she was from Boston when she auditioned.

Another one of my favorite movies (also Boston-based) is "Good Will Hunting" I love this scene from the bar, one of the best!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsHLkB8u3s

Anyway, great blog post!!!