Friday, February 15, 2008

A long weekend is here...

It's so quiet here at work today.  It's a "family day" which basically means that the government allows it's civilian and military workforce to have a day off.   Us contractors?  Not so lucky.  And here's the issue I have with this.  Our respective companies get paid for "x" amount of days of service - or, hours of service - and so they're already paid for days such as "family days", or unexpected inclement weather days.  But do you think they pass that on to us?  No.  "One team, one fight" doesn't apply when you're a contractor.  And it's not the government's fault necessarily; our companies are paid for this day anyway.  Back in the day, if the base was closed due to inclement weather or something then we were issued an overhead charge number from our respective companies and they paid us out of their overhead account - which made sense due to the fact that the companies were paid for those days anyway.  But now, everyone is in in "cost efficiency" mode and so they think, "hmmm. how can we save money?  Oh, I know!  Let's keep the money that we're alread paid for on days that the government isn't there - and make our employees work rather than affording them the ability to stay home during a blizzard without worrying about getting into a major car crash!  We know the government deems it unsafe and a State of Emergency, but our employees need to use their vacation time for this!"   See how that works?   No, I'm not bitter at all....
 
 
It's "big girl bed" weekend for my little one.  She loves her crib, but truthfully she needs to be in her bed now.  My son was a year younger than her when he went into a bed; and truthfully, it has been easier with her in a crib.  But with her Barbie playhouse in the room - which is about the size of a real life town house - we really need to get her into a bed and re-arrange her room.  Her room is quite small and so it's going to be a challenge.  But it's time...and long overdue.  I'm so ridiculously picky on the bedding I want her to have; I really want this very "shabby chic" kind of floral - but it's got to have the right colors in it, and so I've really been struggling.  It can't be too pink...can't be too green...and it's got to have that really nice cottage blue in it.   So, I'm thinking I'm going to go and see what I can find this weekend.  But the bedroom overhaul has got to happen....
 
 
 
I'm toying with trying acupuncture.  I have so many days of having headaches - I almost have them more frequently than I don't.  Which is really a pain in the "fill in the blank with whatever body part you so choose".   I'm actually recovering today from a headache that came on yesterday morning, and my eyes are just so tired right now.  I have noticed that since I haven't been able to go to yoga now, that my headaches are more frequent and worse than they had been previously.  There's definitely something to be said about what yoga does for you on an overall basis.  I mean, your muscles and joints benefit --as well as clearly your state of mind and center; but I'm noticing my headaches are more severe now.  I'm going to have to go back to taking yoga at night because the late afternoon classes have shifted a half hour which really changes my availability.  Truthfully though, I enjoyed taking it at night better anyway; I slept better - and felt more energized anyway.  But either way, I need to find my way back - hopefully on Sunday and Monday this week.   But I digress...the bottom line is that I am going to try acupuncture because I do believe in holistic medicine and I know that there is truth to acupuncture -- I just need to overcome my overall fear of needles to be able to reap the benefits that it may afford to me in the long run.
 
 
 
So, in an effort to get away fromthe dreadfully quiet office where I'm entirely caught up -- prepare for dinner with my girlfriend Jess and our kids this evening -- think about the bedroom transformation and ease the tension from my eyes -- this girl is going to leave work in a few minutes and hit the mall.  A little Sephora pick me up is just what the doctor has ordered and since I have a balance on my Sephora gift card fromChristmas, I am going to use it!   Hello Lip Fusion mini trio....here I come!
 
 
And in the famous words of Dennis Miller:  "And...I....am.......outta here!"

4 comments:

Susan said...

Pick me ups are a good thing! I want to see pictures of your daughter's room!

Martie said...

Go and enjoy yourself...........you deserve it after working today when no one else did! Have fun!

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

You do realize the government civilians don't get the day off either, right? We also have to take a vacation day if we want the longer weekend!

Rebecca said...

Lloyd - you guys don't get Family Days too??? :( I thought you did?