Thursday, February 21, 2008

Think pink....

So yesterday ended up being a very good day, though I wasn't entirely convinced that it was going to be that way when it started.


I had my third follow up for breast cancer yesterday. (Gulp. Even just writing the words is scary.) The first one was a year ago, when I found a lump - which fortunately turned out to be nothing more than a lymph node floating around, and a perfectly healthy one at that. But when they were checking that out, they found an issue of concern on the other side - which they ("they" being the doctors) didn't like the look of. So they wanted to follow up in 5 months, which they did. And it hadn't changed - which was good, but they wanted to follow it up again - just to be safe. That day was yesterday.


You ever wake up in the morning and just not have a good feeling about the day? Well, that was my feeling yesterday. And traditionally, I tend to "go with my gut" because it very rarely lets me down; however, it was hard to determine what was instinctual - or just plain nerves. So, in for the mammogram I went -- and the ultrasound -- and fortunately, it was deemed that this little "whatever it is" is just normal for me. Nothing needs to be biopsied (whew!) and when I tell you the wave of relief that came over me was unbelievable. Almost as good as the news of finding out that the lymph node that I felt was not only not a "lump" - but healthy. To quote the doctor, she said it was the "prettiest lymph node" ever. What a sigh of relief that was, because truly, when the doctors start talking about lymph nodes - that's scarier than thinking about any kind of lump you might find elsewhere. At least to me it is.


And now I can forget about the nagging fear that has been lying in the back of my head.

9 comments:

Nichole M said...

Oh, I'm *so* glad! That must be soooo scary. I can't imagine being on the receiving end.

Susan said...

I'm glad it all went well yesterday! I know how scary it is laying on the table waiting for that ultrasound and you are going to lose it at any point.

Rebecca said...

Thanks Nichole! :) It is definitely different when you're the one waiting for the results, I'm sure... ;)

Rebecca said...

Hey Glitter -
Thanks! Yes, it's interesting the thoughts that go through your head when you're waiting....

Suldog said...

Glad to hear your feelings of dread were nothing to worry about.

Thomas said...

So glad you heard good news!! Scary stuff, so I am relieved for you!

Now you can get ready for the start of BASEBALL season, WOOO WHOO!! GO SOX!!!

Cheryl said...

Thank God for good news! I didn't know you were going through this, dear Rebecca. I am so glad you're okay.

Martie said...

I am happy that the news was good. A few years back I had a lumpectomy done and the waiting for the results is almost like torture as you can think of nothing else. Mine was a benign cyst and I am happy that you are fine, my friend. Hugs

Rebecca said...

Thanks all.... :)
I appreciate the well wishes!

And Thomas - you are so right, baseball in full force. :) SO HOPING that the Sox exercise the option to renew Manny. :)