Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Me + Food = Happiness.

I love Whole Foods.
LOVE IT.

I am right now, eating the most delicious French onion soup I have ever had.
But before I settled on le le potage français d'oignon, of course I had to see, smell and (loud sound of air sucking in here) taste things!

First thing I tried: Polenta Pistachio Bread with Jalapeno.
Oh. My. God.
If you like jalapeno (I do! I do!) then you'll love this because the burn is just on the end of the bite. And true to it's style of spice - it lingers just a bit. I'm not a big butter person, however with a touch of sweet butter to counteract the spice this is just delicious. I don't even like bread really and I'd have bought it.

Next up: Salmon Something or Other. (Code for "I can't remember the name of it!")
It was cooking on the stovetop and smelled fabulous.
It was almost like a bouillabaisse or cioppino; tomato based, with a little salt & pepper, garlic, basil and cilantro. Very light -- and really quite good. I wouldn't think to put salmon in a tomato base and surprisingly -- it worked. I almost got that instead of the French Onion, but eh - a little too heavy for lunch time I think.

Off to the cheese counter -- my favorite place in the whole store.
And they were sampling, my very favorite cheese in the whole entire world: Pavano Robusto.
It has a consistency similar to Gouda - but it is nutty and yummy like a nicely aged Parmigiano Reggiano, which is another favorite of mine. "Cheese, glorious cheese...so lucious and scrumptious". (Remember that commercial, all you thirty-somethings + out there?)

And then finally, to the fresh fruits, where I picked up a lovely container of icy cold, fresh pineapple (which I have now moved onto, as I write this...).

I don't know why food makes me feel so good, even when I'm just walking through a supermarket and looking without buying anything; other than it really is true that it just is the littlest things in life that can make me happy.

2 comments:

Suldog said...

Me, too. Food makes me happy. Lots of great family memories revolve around meals, for me. I'm surprised I don't weigh 400 pounds.

(And my word verification is "GLYZED", which is close enough to "GLAZED" to make it a funny coincidence.)

Anonymous said...

salmon stew. jnw