Monday, September 17, 2007

Joyeux anniversaire à moi...

So, I ask myself as another birthday arrives - "Does the number of years old I am define me?".
The answer, surprisingly enough….is no. And yes.

It does not define me in the superficial sense.  I think outwardly, age is merely a number.  It's your state of mind and how you care for yourself -- and about yourself -- that presents your outward appearance.  And truly, what does your outward appearance really mean?  A clothing size doesn't truly represent who I am as a person - nor does the color of my hair.  It's what's inside of me that comes through on the outside - at least I hope it does anyway.

But it does define me as being a woman who's proud of where she's been in life -- and where I'm going in the future.
If it wasn't for the years under my belt, I may not have had the patience and where withall to be the mother that I am to my children.  Or the business woman that I am both in my profession on base -- and with my business ventures. 

While the 30s are the new 20s - I'm proud to be "thirty-something".  While I've always been hardworking and mature for my age, I think I'm far more grounded and centered now than in my younger years.  I've learned the difference between being right, to just sometimes letting things go.  I don't always have to be the one to fix people.  I've learned to accept people for who they are - and that I don't have to always be the one in control.  I've learned that no one can make me feel badly about who I am - unless I let them.  This is the kind of wisdom that I did not necessarily have in my twenties.

Now, despite my virtous thoughts on how outward appearance does not matter - that's not to say that I don't feel very happy when people don't think I look my age.  Or course I do.  But no matter how youthful I appear, inside I’m still the same girl who's constantly growing, constantly learning - and constantly reaching back into the vault of experience for inner advice on how to react to situations in life.   And looks don't last forever.  Time will catch up with me at some point, and that's okay too.

Though the Sox didn't sweep the Yankees (please don't get me started!), the Patriots did knock the Chargers all over the place.  And, I DID get my picture taken with (sigh) Jason a few days okay.  (That I will post at some point.)

Not such a bad way to kick off a new year in the chapter of my life!
So Happy Birthday to Me!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

happy happy birthday baby!

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

Happy birthday to you...

Happy birthday to you....

Happy birthday dear Rebecca....

Happy birthday to you....

I had to make up for completely forgeting at work today!

Martie said...

A very happy birthday to you.....whatever your stage of life or state of mind.....and I do believe that you will have many more birthdays and more insights to share as you reach each and every one of them! Hugs! ♥

David Sullivan said...

Happy Birthday and many more!!!

ramblin' girl said...

Happy (belated) Birthday!!!

Tim said...

well happy belated birthday to oyu, then!!