Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dare I say it aloud....

....but as I write this, I'm watching history potentially be made.
The Boston Bruins are up 3-0 in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.
STANLEY CUP.

Let me paint this picture for you. It's been since 1972 since the Bruins brought Lord Stanley home. And it's been painful ever since.

But let's keep this in perspective, shall we?
This isn't Red Sox Painful....that was excruciating.
Bruins lack of winning anything is more.... annoying.

My initial career goal was to be a sportscaster, specifically hockey play by play. I even used to be a seasons ticket holder (I wish I could remember the section in the Gahhden, but I forget. Balcony seats anyway...), and I gave up buying into my share of the tickets in 1996. Not only could I not afford them any longer -but my interest in the sport had waned. Too many changes in the league, overexpansion, lack of proper direction with the team from management....yada yada yada. So when I tell you it's been years since I've held any interest in hockey, I'm not exaggerating.

And tonight as I sit here watching potentially history - and something that as a kid I would've absolutely gone out of my mind over - I feel, well.... lukewarm about it all.

I'm happy for the organization, happy for Boston, and if they win - it will be fantastic.
But honestly, I'm more excited at the prospect of October baseball - and dear God let there be football.

No comments: