Friday, January 01, 2010

Feeling ambitious -- setting goals.

The beginning of the year is when I really try to get organized. Sometimes, especially in a year such as the one that just left -- when life is very hectic towards the end, it's hard to clean house so to speak, and reorganize. I can't function when things aren't organized; and the funny thing is that I'm not nearly as organized as I need to be/want to be but I've learned that sometimes you just have to step back. It's okay.... though I still cringe when the "junk drawer" in the kitchen is a disaster just a day after I've organized it. My cabinets aren't nearly as organized as I want them to be -- I have the overwhelming want to have my house look like something out of "Real Simple". But the reality of it is that -- well, it can't. I have two children who are anything but organized, a husband who has no concept of tidiness though he's exceptionally organized -- and we actually live in this house. We use it, eat/play/live in it -- it's not staged for a magazine.
These are the things I grapple with.

Anyway, so I've given a little thought to my resolutions for this year; they're always very manageable, attainable goals. I've always felt it unrealistic to set exorbitant goals on things that may not get done in a probable manner. So I set a few, short and realistic goals and if I keep them (which I typically do....sometimes) then that's great. If not -- well, they're not earthshattering so that's okay as well.

So I now present to you this girl's list of resolutions for 2010:

1. Go to the doctor. Yes, I'm overdue for a general physical and with the recent turn of events with my mother and the big C -- her prognosis while better than the day before Christmas Eve is still not as good as we'd hoped it would be; and there's always the possibility for genetic and hereditary passing of it so...for my own piece of mind, it's probably best to be proactive on the medical curve.

2. Back to yoga and running. That needs no explanation.

3. Get back to reading. G got for Christmas a book that's piquing my interest and so I think I'm going to start it. It's Tim Donaghy's Blowing the Whistle. I don't know what I'll read after that one, but at least I'm interested in reading it. I'd even like to get back into a book club if I can find the time.

That might be it -- for now anyway. I'm always working on improving myself -- and I will forever be a work in progress. But for now, in the short term - these are the goals I'm setting for myself for this year, and I think I should be able to keep them.

What are your goals for this upcoming year?

No comments: