Friday, February 06, 2009

Success is the best revenge....

I am thoroughly dissapointed in the way Michael Phelps is being torn apart in the public eye.
Here's yet another example of a person being built up and placed upon a pedestal, and adored by all - just to have the masses frenzy, watching that very same person being torn down.

Here's a 23 year old kid, whom was thrust on to the throne of expectations and celebrity because of his dedication and athletic ability in a sport. Not because he is a humanitarian....not because he is a world leader; but because he is an athlete. And while he is able to carry himself publicly with humility and grace (unlike a few other Olympic athletes I can think of, whom I will allow to remain un-named...) this does not mean that he is the pinnacle of perfection as a human being. He may have achieved a seemingly super human feat; however, he is not a super human. He is nothing more than a 23 year old young adult.

I get that he's a role model, and that a photograph of him "hitting the bong" does not bode well. However, we are not talking about him being snapped booting heroin. All the hypocrits that are out there, professing that his medals should be taken away from him because of his drug use -- I would venture to guess that each and every one of them has smoked marijuana at some point in their lives. Maybe even as young 20-something adults; or maybe some as recently as last night. Who are they really trying to protect with this witch hunt? Doth protest too loudly, is what this girl thinks.

Now I've always made it abundantly clear that I'm not an advocate of marijuana use -- for me. I don't begrudge anyone else who chooses to use it, so long as it doesn't impact my life. I know plenty of people who smoke the herb, and if it works for them - that's fine. It's just not a choice for me. That being said....this is a drug that is considered legal in most countries around the world, as well as at an increasingly rapid rate within states in our own country. While I personally think it's not a smart choice for a young person to make -- who the heck hasn't experimented, and why should he be any different? We all make choices in life, some are inherently made by what we think and feel about a subject; others, by a more textile learning experience.

I think it's a horrible mistake for Kellogs to be so "holier than thou" and remove him from their portfolio of athletes. I think it's deplorable for one to suggest his medals get taken away. Marijuana is not a performance enhancing drug; if anything, it debilitates performance. And while there is no evidence to prove he was smoking during the competition, his mere performance should be proof enough that he did not smoke during the games. What a person does after the fact, is irrelevant.

The bottom line is that we live in a society that feeds upon seeing people fail. We want to see someone who we think is perfect, make a mistake so that we can destroy them. It's unfortunate, yet true. We are always ready with the stone in hand...just waiting to cast it.

In my opinion, the only person who should be criticized and lashed against - is the person who leaked that photo to the media. Unfortunately enough for young Michael Phelps, it probably was one of his "friends". He may never find this information out, as a result of the media's ability to protect those who seek to destroy others. Sometimes those amendment rights work to our favor; other times, not so much.

In many ways, and on many levels -- this country still has so much growing to do...

1 comment:

chesneygirl said...

Amen, Rebecca!!
I completely and totally agree with you!

I couldn't have said it better myself, I've had all these very same thoughts rolling around in my head.