Monday, February 23, 2009

'Cause see when I was younger I would say..." When I grow up, I wanna be famous, I wanna be a star, I wanna be in movies..."

Last night Kate Winslet made a very appropo statement, something to the effect of "none of us ever dreamed we'd be in a category with Meryl Streep". To be considered of the same caliber as the lovely Ms. Streep was something that all of us young, thirtysomethings who wanted to be actresses dreamed about. To be actually competing against her or with her, was never part of the equation. Though I think it came across as an age thing last night - to me, her reference was that it was more of an unattainable goal...a pipe dream. To be considered similar to Meryl Streep meant you were the pinnacle of what you could achieve - something that doesn't happen to "us" -- it happens to other people.

Watching the Oscars is the one night a year that I can honestly say that I revel in the "would've could've should've" in my life. I can entirely relate to the actresses and their emotions as they overflow. I thought that this year in particular was the nicest way to present the nominees with their moment of glory; instead of watching a small clip of their work, to have them honored by those who have held the prestigious honor before them and speak accolades of their bodies of work on a very warm and personal level -- was to me by far, a touching and gracious way to honor those who were anxiously awaiting to hear the words "and the Oscar goes too...".

I was so very proud of my girl Jennifer Aniston, who though clearly nervous -- looked beautiful, and was so gracious in the face (literally, directly) of her heartbreakingly beautiful ex husband, and his homewrecker of a...what is she anyway...girlfriend, if you will. If you ask me, Angelina didn't look that great. A little too thin and pale, but again - I've always been on Team Aniston so maybe I'm a bit biased.

The only real gripe I had about the show was that I thought the camera men were going a little crazy during the portion where they show those who have passed onto the silver screen in the sky. They kept zooming in and out...I couldn't see all of the names, and truly - that's an important piece of the show. At least to me it is. ( Note to the Director: please, please keep the camera straight, focused and on the screen next year. Thanks!)

So to the very end I watched...thinking back to how if the world was as small of a place as it is today back when I was able to dedicate my time to finding employment in the theatrical field -- what would I have been able to achieve? Would I possibly have been on stage last night, accepting my award....similar to how myself, and clearly Kate Winslet - had done, back when we were 8,9,10 years old - speaking into a brush at the bathroom mirror?

Truly, the dream never dies.

No comments: