Monday, August 07, 2006

What are the chances!?!??!

I don't like to let anyone down, and if I give my word - I'm going to accomplish whatever it is that I've given my word to.

I've been working on creating a website for one of my girlfriends. During the process, we had a miscommunication which slowed the development down by a week. Where the misunderstanding was on my part (I misread an email!), I felt awful - and said not to worry - I'd complete the site in it's entirety based upon the information that I had up to that point - within 36 hours.

Part of this 36 hour time frame, my son was at the middle stage of his being really sick. Clearly it was an unexpected situation - but I wasn't about to not keep my word. So, on the Friday night that I said I'd complete the site - after both kids were in bed - I pulled a marathon and completed it. I finished at about 3 a.m., published it - and sent my girlfriend a long email explaining what I had done to the site, and to please review it and let me know what changes she might have, yada yada yada.

I felt really good, because despite the fact my son had been so sick - and though I was very tired - I didn't let my girlfriend down; and in some ways, it was a well needed distraction from thinking about how sick the Ty Guy was. I got to spend some good time with my father (who stayed up with me while I worked) which I don't get to do at all since my parents live out of state. (Oh, did I forget to mention that my parents were down for my daughter's birthday party? Well - they were, although we didn't get to spend too much time focusing on things other than how sick my son was, so the time working on the computer was a good bonding time - as well as a break from worrying...)

So, my girlfriend calls me on Sunday - and asks how my son is doing. I hadn't gone into details at all in my email, just mentioned that he had been sick. So, at this point - I'd just spent all of the day and night previous at Children's Hospital, didn't have any better answers on my son's health, was really tired - and just filled her in. Then I switched the conversation because I was dying to know how she liked her site...and being the good friend she is, she said "Oh, it's fine, I just have a couple of questions, but it can wait until the TyGuy's feeling better and you have a little more time....." She called middle of the week, to check on him and ask an unrelated question about something - and so of course, I asked again. And, in good friend fashion - she said "I have minor changes, really it can wait until you get situated... let's talk on Monday!".

So here it is Monday. I pulled up the site at work to show a coworker this great DHTML menu I used for her nav bar, and the site was not there. What was there, was the placeholder I had put there while I was working on the site. Funny thing is......I deleted that placeholder from the server prior to publishing the site. Which meant only one thing: a server must've crashed, and the company backed the site up from a date prior to the crash. Which would mean one thing: She never saw the site! She probably read my email, thought I was a complete idiot (Being a good girlfriend, she wouldn't think that necessarily, but definitely think I was overwhelmed and only thought I published the site!) and didn't know how to tell me!

I've never been so mortified. Well, at least not this mortified in quite some time anyway! I called the hosting company and guess what. I published the site at about 3:30 a.m. 7/29; the server crashed at about 4:00 p.m. on 7/28 - they backed the server up to the morning of 7/28. And the kicker of it all - I got no email notification about it because they have a typo in my email that's on file! What's even better? I couldn't tell that the site wasn't working because when I called it up on my system - it was stored in my cache. AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.

She's been sending out emails and advertising her site on her card - and people haven't been seeing the site!!!!!
I'm absolutely mortified. And while it's not my fault per se, I still feel awful.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's always the way, isn't it?

Oohh...speaking of fun things to do (your comment on my blog) I think I sent you info on a "Rock on Water" (aka booze cruise) on the 18th. : )

Anonymous said...

Now why that didn't work without my blog link I'll never know!

chesneygirl said...

Wow! like your title says...
WHAT ARE THE CHANCES?!?!?

How is the little guy doing?

Martie said...

Wow, the chances of that happening are so small. I can understand your frustration! Being such a good friend though, I'm sure if you explained it to her she would understand and not be the least bit upset with you or think you are too crazy! How's TyGuy doing? Have they figured anything out yet? Prayers still coming your way.....let us know.

Bill said...

Look at it this way... if the site's still in your cache, shouldn't it be pretty easy to reconstruct (again)? I obviously don't know much about constructing web sites. I have to take my stuff off of someone else's work. Hang in there. I'm sure it'll all work out.

Rebecca said...

Hey All -
The Ty Guy is almost perfect.
We're pretty confident that this was some random virus that mimicked Kawasaki, and not the disease itself. He still needs one more round of blood tests to be sure, but he sure looks good. An echocardiogram or EKG would make me feel better too....

Thanks for asking.... :)

Chinook7 said...

By the looks of things, her site currently resides on your local system ~ as a result, you *should* be able to resubmit the DHTM / HTM files to the hosting company without issue.

Working under deadlines where sleep deprivation and family illness are involved is never ideal, but just do a search on your local system (Start ->Search -> For Files and Folders and use *html* as your criteria)

G'luck!

Rebecca said...

Hey All!
Yes, fortunately I didn't work on the live server like I usually do - and I had the original on my PC. Whew. I got her up and running in about 20 seconds once I got home. :)

WHEW!