Wednesday, August 30, 2006

It's not what you say...it's how you mean it

I seem to be always full of cliches....I have a saying for every circumstance, every occurance within my life, or the life of someone else - if they're asking me for my advice.

And while I know that sometimes it can come off as trite, I don't mean it to be that way. I believe in the sayings that I use, because I believe in the principle that is behind those sayings. While many of them may be considered overused in today's society, that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have a ring of truth that can be applied to that certain situation. They're ingrained in me as part of who I am, because I was raised by them in a sense. My Mom and my Dad were always using them; my Dad specifically used to use alot of the phrases in my growing up days, and that's probably where I got most of them or at a minimum - have the inclination to use them as an adult.

"Say what you mean and mean what you say"....."You're only as good as your word"....."Everything happens for a reason"....."What goes around comes around"....."In time this too shall pass"...."That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger"...."Live and let live"....."Those with the loudest bark usually have the softest bite"..."Deflection is a reflection of discontent with oneself"...."Negativity breeds on negativity"...."Every day is a new day to have a good day"...."Sometimes you've got to be cruel to be kind"..."It's all relative"...."Attitude is determined by attitude"...

The list goes on and on.


I don't think it's such a bad thing to use cliches if you believe in what you're saying, regardless of the phrasing that you use to say it.


What cliches do you use in your day to day living?

9 comments:

chesneygirl said...

I always use "Everything happens for a reason"...matter of fact I SORT OF used this cliche in my post today!

I also really like "Attitude is determined by attitude"

Anonymous said...

I've used many that you mentioned; a couple more...

"If it is to be it is up to me"

"Your individually responsible, personally accountable, find a way."

"That which remains the same never changes"

Great post...Rebecca.

Regards,

Bob

Susan said...

Do you have a Karma one for someone I know?

Rebecca said...

Max: Hey! Nice to see you! :)
Yup - my parents started blogging recently. Go over and check them out!

Glitter: Hmmm. I think the whole "what goes around comes around" and "what you do comes back threefold" are my favorite Karma ones. ;)

Dale - Nice one!

Bob - Is that you Dad?

Chesney Girl: That's a great one, isn't it? Sort of like "positive thinking yields positive results".

Martie said...

I've used many of the ones you have posted, but the one I think I use the most now is 'what goes around, comes around' describing my grandchildren's behavior to their parents. I'm sure they just wish I would be quiet! Great post, and I stopped and checked out your parents blogs.....great sites!

Steve said...

Hi Bec.....

Sorry sweety..but no .that post by Bob isn't me..however I do like his name....lol...:)
As for your post...yes, big time, cliches are a big part of your growing up years. They instill character providing you live up to them for they are proven over time and tested to be as honest as the day is long. Hmmmm....does that sound like a 'cliche'...lol....
Anyhow its an interesting post and a perspective of living life thru phraseology. A knack for many practiced by few !
Love ya....
Always Dad

Anonymous said...

It's true; I'm not your Dad...LOL

Sorry for any confusion.

In the future; I'll sign my posts..REF

Enjoy your weekend.

Rebecca said...

hahahaa, REF - those are my initials. Funny. ;)

Dad - did you update your blog yet? You're WAY overdue!

Anonymous said...

LOL, who knew?

REF