Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Technologically speaking....I'm musically retro

Today's the day..... Christina Aguilera's long awaited cd was released. And yes, at lunch - I drove to Newbury Comics to get my copy.

While I don't know that this will be a tremedously huge commercial album for her, I enjoy it because it's very jazzy. There's a definite Billie Holliday sound which I love. She's really going into a genre that you can tell she feels very comfortable with - and one that she certainly does justice to.

Funny thing.... I was in Newbury Comics and I overheard a conversation where someone was saying how they don't buy CD's any longer. They're totally hooked on MP3s and their iPod.

Can I just tell you....I am so not into them yet. There is something to be said about walking into a music store and actually looking and feeling the merchandise. I almost get high when I walk in because it's such a rush --I don't know where to look first. Being in a record store, (hmmm, should I call it a CD store?) allows for exposure to other styles of music that you might never have listened to if you're limiting yourself to downloading from the web. There's something to be said about marketing, be it blatant or subliminally. Quite often, when I'm shopping at Newbury there will be a cd playing in the background of an artist that I don't recognize. If I like it, I'll ask who it is and buy it. Sometimes, I might buy a cd just because I like the cd cover and figure "what the heck". You've gotta love the impulse buy.

Today, I bought an artist I never heard of before: Toby Lightman.
I'll let you know if she's a keeper....

5 comments:

chesneygirl said...

I didn't realize Christina had a new album out.

I'm counting the days until Jessica Simpson's new album is released...14 days, btw.
I can NOT wait!! I just LOVE her!!! :)
A couple of the songs on this new album are very 80's-ish. She even has a remake of "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)" on it.
Aug 29th cannot get here fast enough! :)

Btw, I've never heard of Toby Lightman either.

Hale McKay said...

I'm with you on the feeling of picking up and handling the CDs before you buy them.
...I'm not into MP3 or iPods either. I'm afraid I'd miss that "personal" hand picking process.

Big Ben said...

We are dinosaurs. I like buying cd's too. I like opening the packaging and having all the artists songs and the jacket.

*** said...

I'll be interested to hear about Toby Lightman...be sure and let us know!

I love Chrstina's latest single Ain't No Other Man. And sorry, but I had to buy it as soon as possible for my mp3. Christina is one artist I literally sing along with..she is so awesome!

Susan said...

Okay Okay I have a toby lightman CD and I feel the same way you do about buying cds. I need the artwork. Screw downloading them.