Saturday, September 03, 2011

There's a chill in the air....

I'm sitting outside on my deck enjoying a cup of coffee - and I'll tell you, it's pretty darn cool outside. But funny enough, there isn't that crisp smell of fall in the air just yet. It's still got a summerish smell, and unless you're a New Englander - you just may not understand what I'm describing. But trust me, I'm not crazy.

It's Labor Day weekend, officially the end of summer as it would be - so the change of the morning feel isn't really that out of line anyway. When it happens in August, that's one thing - but it seems like the weather patterns are becoming more of what I remember from when I was a child: snowier winters, rainier springs, really warm summers that last right until the first week of school which used to be after Labor Day - though here in the 'burbs, they start in August.

I'd never really given much thought to what Labor Day was about. After doing a little Wikipedia research, it seems that there was a battle and some untimely deaths of laborers during a strike - and so to honor them, a federal holiday was declared in which we should honor those who labor for a living.

And yet ironically enough, the holiday has become one of such that the only people who continue to work on those days are -- laborers. Maybe not manual laborers, but people who aren't in office jobs. Retail staff, Wait Staff/Cooks, Hotel Staff, etc.

It's interesting how holidays have changed and become so far removed from what they were supposed to be about in the first place. But I digress.....

So the rack and stack of the weekend goes like this: Signing the kiddies up at the Y for swimming and basketball - and then off to peach picking we are going to go. Then tomorrow, we have a family BBQ and birthday parties; both my sister in law and my nephew are born on the same day so...celebrate we will do.

Good times. Good times....

1 comment:

Suldog said...

I so much liked it more when holidays were expected to be days when NOBODY other than emergency personnel worked. There was something to be said for blue laws, in that regard only.