Monday, March 28, 2011

Since you've been gone.....

It has been one heck of a year.


Hard to imagine that Mother's Day is going to mark the one year anniversary of my Mother's passing. Every Mother's Day, I run the road race in the city that the store is in; last year, I was going to run despite the fact my Mom died -- I think she would've wanted me to do it. But I was so emotionally exhausted that I was physically drained. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I woke up on time, but I was literally physically sore from stress.


Which made me think of the figure skater from the last winter olympics who lost her Mom, Joannie Rochette. How she had the strength to go on and compete, is amazing. I'm sure she found her strength from knowing her Mom would never want to see her not compete....but one can only imagine the strains emotionally and physically she suffered in order to do so.


This year, my sister is going to run the race with me. She's never run before and so she's a little leary about doing it, but I told her that it's not about winning the race -- it's about completing it -- reaching the goal. Whether she runs or walks, it doesn't matter - and slow and steady is what it's all about. I'll probably keep pace with her so that she doesn't think about it much and feels confident.


Truth be told, I haven't been running as much as I should be and need to get my own act into gear - otherwise, she's going to be the one pacing herself to keep me company!

No comments: