Wednesday, October 06, 2010

I see my Marianne, walking away.....

Okay, I have to admit - my knee jerk reaction to the trade rumors of Randy Moss was "Are you kidding me?!?! Say it isn't so!". But now that I've had some time to digest it....I'm okay with it now. Do I love the idea? No. Do I think he's worth the money he's asking -- yes. Do I understand that the Patriots don't like controversy and he spoke out of school in week one -- yes. Do I think the Patriots are as strong of a team without him -- no. But do I think that he should be able to control and manipulate the organization to get what he wants -- no.

The biggest dissapointment for me in this - is that we got no immediate gratification in return; we got a third round draft pick.

All good things come to those who wait my friend....look at Tom Brady, whom they didn't sign until the first week of regular season. Maybe, had he quietly expressed his wanting to stay - had he quietly negotiated in within the organization rather than in the court of public opinon (ala Manny Ramirez) he may have been pleasantly happy with a contract.

I get that there is concern regarding a walk out and a lack of paycheck; but I think it becomes a matter of not what you say - but how you say it. And I think unfortunately, Randy Moss handled himself rather unprofessionally in a business situation - and so now, he's in a position to play with a team who's a contender - but with no potential future, which initially was what he was looking for. He wanted a long term contract - and with this trade, he's only got the rest of this contract year....so did he really get what he wanted? Outside of just being out of New England.

It is what it is -- and it's over and done. Time to focus on the here and the now...no receiver over 5'9, and a really very soft defense.

Is that going to be enough to win, one game at a time?

No comments: