Sunday, April 02, 2006

Spring Ahead?

Hmmm. I've never been a big fan of daylight savings time. I mean, I know we get an extra hour of sun when we spring ahead; as well as an extra hour of sleep when we "fall back".

But it really messes us all up, doesn't it? We're not hungry at dinner time...we're bright eyed and bushy tailed at bedtime, so we stay up late - and then end up late for work in the morning because what would've been 5am is really 6am - and if we wanted to really sleep in until 6 - well now it's 7 and WOW are we late!!!

Why can't we just pick one timeline that we've adjusted to, and just let the sun rise and set naturally? I know it was meant to help the farmers get more out of their days, but I tend to think that maybe farmers have progressed some since this rule was established, and maybe they'd even like it to just sort of leave things alone.

Surely I can't be the only one who feels this way..... !

8 comments:

Big Ben said...

I think it is so kids are not waiting for the bus when it is dark out.

Jennifer said...

I know what you mean, girl. Us golf pros love shorter days. It means less time for the tourists to be at the golf course and less time I have to be in the pro shop :)

clew said...

Right on! We all love the extra daylight in the nicer seasons - and in winter it doesnt really matter much ... we should just make DST the standard year-round time.

I know they're extending the DST season next year by a month or so ... maybe we're moving towards a year round thing. I'm tired of the change goofing me up for a few weeks - and as you know, getting a toddler adjusted is murder! :)

bigwhitehat said...

I hate daylight savings. Who the hell needs an extra hour of light at 9pm?

I'm sure since you are farther North it is even worse for you. This time of year it makes no sense and in July it is just plain stupid.

Cheryl said...

Kodijack said what I was going to say. I actually love the lighter evenings--we go for walks after dinner every night. Love it love it love it. Dark winter? Yuck.

chesneygirl said...

I guess I'm in the minority here cause i have to disagree with you. I love it and look forward to it...I HATE going to work in the dark and coming home from work in the dark....it's so depressing!

Rebecca said...

Well, I don't mind the spring ahead if we can just STAY that way! Why do we have to fall back???? And then once we're adjusted - have to switch all over again. I guess that's the real gripe I've got. :)

joy said...

I'm with you, I don't like it either.