Thursday, April 20, 2006

As tempting as it sounds....

Do I really want to open a side business?

I'm so very bored with what I do full time. I am a Web Development Project Manager & Strategic Marketing Manager for my office job. Of course, with the wine shop - I'm a full fledged Marketing & PR person, as well as Web Designer. In addition to this - I often help small businesses in the area with Strategic Marketing techniques. Loosely translated - this is "advertising on a shoestring budget". (Which is not my hook, by the way). As I'm a motivated, self starter and owner of a "Mom and Pop" wine shop - I'm proof positive that you can get the word out there about a business with little or no financial investment (outside of my services!). And these are techniques that a person could do themselves, but they just have to be creative - and be motivated to do follow through and do them. It's sort of a "guerilla warfare" type of marketing.

I used to have a side business that was strictly web design, graphic design and presentation design. I didn't really dedicate the time necessary to it, because honestly - I get very bored with it. I truly prefer the magazine/newsletter layout and design aspect; partly because I love to write - and partly because I enjoy that style of design more. I find it more attractive to design for publication than for the web. And truly, I'd rather be Art Director than Lead Designer at this point. Maybe I'm just bored....

In any event, I've been doing so much strategic marketing "gratis" for people I know who have businesses - I'm thinking I should be charging for this again. There's such a need for it. I've been doing press releases, newsletters, introductory announcements, site consultation, ad copy.... And in a case of timing - an email came in today from a client of mine from 5 or 6 years ago who has now started an IT company, and would like to offer web design services. He asked if I'd be interested. And while I'd love to make some extra money, and I know I can whip sites out rather quickly - I just am not excited about it.

I've been trying to get away from this area....not dive back into it. Ugh - and all the hand holding of the clients. You know, explaining to someone that what you say in casual conversation might sound okay - but to put it in writing for a formal release is inappropriate....ugh. I'm just not up for all of that again. I don't know. I may take on a few jobs here and there - but I just don't know if I'm up for the whole shabang.

It goes without saying that I love doing all of that for the wine shop. But if I'm going to do a second business, I really just want to open a nice little boutique somewhere...maybe gourmet chocolates, maybe a sunless tanning boutique...maybe a home decor shop.

Just something other than what I'm doing right now!

12 comments:

Martie said...

Go for the gourmet chocolates! I love chocolate!! ;)

chesneygirl said...

I think the sunless tanning boutique sounds fun!

I've also have played with the idea of a side job...wedding planning. I have helped plan so many weddings and so many friends, family and even distant acquaintances have called and asked for my help or advice with their weddings...so much so that I think sometimes I should be charging for my services. But for some reason...I don't. Maybe someday.

Susan said...

I LOVE CANDY. You know I'll shop there.

Seriously someone else I know is considering opening up a business again. I'll email you to tell you about it off here though because he's well very private about this shit.

Cheryl said...

Mr. Fabulous said it well.

bigwhitehat said...

I don't know whether to encourage you or tell you to take your meds.

You seem a little, ok a lot keyed up.

clew said...

Ya know, it's people like you and Naive that make me feel guilty about complaining about how busy I am.

Not that that will stop me ... ;)

P.S. I vote for chocolate too.

clew said...

(Plus you make me look bad because i totally abandoned my fledgling side business when I had Incrediboy ... PTHTH! Darn you overachievers!!!)

*** said...

You know, if you choose chocolate, I personally promise to contribtue as much as I can. I could be your best customer, even from afar! Assuming you do mail order, that is.

Hale McKay said...

If you open a candy-chocolate shop - you just gotta carry real peanut butter fudge! I'll be your best customer - at least best customer who buys peanut butter fudge. I'm tired of driving to Salisbury Beach to get it. All the othere places I know sell peanache (YUK) but not PBF.

Anonymous said...

Bec...
Life isn't all that 'moldable' for most of us. We have to just accept the way things 'go' not the way we want them to be. And ya...you can hit the 'motivational' trigger for your defense. As I have said to you often in the past. You have a knack of having things go your way.The doors just keep on flying open. Most people even with 'keys' can't seem to get them open.
Be Happy....Be Grateful....Be Healthy !
I'm not saying you can't do more than what you are ...I'm saying you said it correctly and know it......YOU ARE BORED !....and the grass insn't always 'greener' on the other fellows yard.
Love,
Dad

Rebecca said...

BWH - hahaha, you totally had me cracking up out loud. Meds?? hahha, I'm high on life baby... no meds to bring me up or bring me down...

Dad - Hmmm. I work hard to make those doors open... I think sometimes I'm fortunate w/ opportunities, but I've never really had things handed to me...but even still, you're right.

Laura - LOVE the name My Girlfriend's kitchen! How fun! I've got great little names for all of my ideas. Can't dare to share - you just never know who's reading!!!

And YES - to all of you - I would totally ship chocolates. (AND carry real peanut butter fudge!!!)Chocolate - unlike alcohol has no age restrictions. I'd be delighted to feed your chocolate addictions. Sort of a funny idea coming from a self professed chocolate "dis-liker".

Rebecca said...

AND....
Yes, I'm totally bored. Another idea I've always wanted to try is event coordinator. I don't know. I'm going to do something with myself, just need to pick something to have fun with I guess.... stay tuned!