Wednesday, April 19, 2006

This kiss, this kiss....(it's criminal)

I remember my first kiss. I was 14 1/2, and by most standards - a late bloomer in the romance department. I was too much of a tomboy to really think about relationships. I had crushes, but never had any boy kiss me. Up until that point, my "boyfriends" consisted of someone walking me home from school, or talking on the phone. I was truly afraid of being kissed, and so I often wouldn't allow myself in situations where that might happen.

But this boy was different. He was a "bad boy", fresh out of DYS (detentional youth services) - and he looked just like Billy Idol. I had met him through a friend of mine in high school, a boy named Donny. Donny and I were strictly friends, and we'd talk on the phone for hours. He had a foster brother, Jimi - who would sometimes pick up the phone while Donny and I were talking and sort of jump into the conversation. It didnt take long before I would call and if Donny wasn't home - Jimi and I would end up talking. He was really shy, but not too much so - and he was really looking forward to doing the right thing, and going back to school - staying on the right track. I don't remember why he was in DYS, but I do remember that he had a really tough upbringing and Donny's family was trying to help him out. And of course, before I even met him in person - I really liked him. I've always had a soft spot for "bad boys" - and stray puppies. He was a little bit of both.

The first time I had met him, I was babysitting for two young girls who I sat for pretty regularly - and Donny and he had come by. I wouldn't allow them upstairs, but the girls were asleep and it was summertime - so I sat on the front porch with them. He was 16, really tall (to me, who was 4"11) - and looked just like Billy Idol. He was funny, and he was tough - but he was really very, very sweet to me. Not a fake sweet, but a view of who he was under the tough exterior.

The woman I sat for was far more laid back than I ever would be! She never came home past 11, but she always told me I could have my boyfriend sit with me if I wanted. I was a "good girl" - I think that probably came across as I wasn't going to do anything irresponsible. So, about a month after meeting him and spending hours upon hours on the phone - I invited him over.

I remember us watching television - but I don't remember how it came about that he tried to kiss me. I stopped him, and started to cry. I was so embarrassed, but I had never kissed anyone - let alone french kiss - and I was absolutely petrified. And I told him why I was so embarrassed - and he was so incredibly kind and sweet. Needless to say, he "taught" me how to kiss. This tough, destined for jail kind of boy was so nice and gentle and kind. He didn't laugh - and he didn't make me feel embarrassed. He was my first real boyfriend. Not in the mature relationship way - that wasn't for years later. But he was still my boyfriend.

We dated for three months, he'd meet me after school and walk me home and hang out on my front porch.... or we'd go and hang out with Donny and Donny's dad who would drive me home. He didnt' work - so we didn't "date" so much as "hang around". And it all came to an abrupt end without any warning. Jimi left his house in the middle of the night - and decided to come see me. He used a ladder in my backyard - climbed up to my bedroom window (I lived on the second floor) and knocked on my window to try to wake me. Clearly, he didn't know me that well. I'd sleep through an earthquake! But he woke my father up. Who promptly came to the window - opened the shade - saw Jimi peeking through with a flashlight and growled "who the hell are you?!".

Needless to say - I caught a glimpse of him running through the yard. My Dad called Donny's dad, who was already looking for him....and I was banned from seeing him ever again. I heard from Donny that Jimi was sent back to DYS. I don't know what he did - but it must've been something worse than trying to wake me that night. I saw him once about a year later - but then never saw or heard from him again.

I still wonder what ever happened to him.

As I was driving home from work today - it was gorgeous out, and the Faith Hill song "This Kiss" came on the radio. And for some reason - today, it made me think of Jimi.

9 comments:

bigwhitehat said...

That is wierd. Your description of this character made me think of Cradle of Love.

Martie said...

WOW....neat story!

Rebecca said...

BWH - What's Cradle of Love???

Martie - Yup. I'm a romantic I guess.... ;)

Bougie Black Boy said...

this was absolutely HILARIOUS. movie-like!

Rebecca said...

hahaha, nice girl meets bad boy...bad boy goes to jail....good girl pines... yup. Total Hollywood material. But with no Hollywood ending..... ;)

clew said...

C'mon, Rebecca.

"Rock the Cradle of luh-hove..."

Billy Idol? I thought you knew music!

I'm just razzing ya. ;)

I love music flacshback stories. As you know :D

Rebecca said...

hahaha, no I know the song - but I guess where he wasn't THAT much older than me - I didn't make the connection to the video... Wasn't it the older guy digging the babysitter??? I forget. ;) hahaha, but there's still the babysitter connection.... it's all coming to me now! ;)

chesneygirl said...

Fun story!

I was a "good girl" too....I didn't have my first kiss until I was 15.

bigwhitehat said...

RED LIGHT ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BWH agrees with Dale.

Hell hath frozen over.