Monday, April 10, 2006

Raising a Son....

Okay. There are some things that I as a girl, have not experienced in life. Using a men's room is clearly one of them.

My husband brought my son into the men's room recently and my son used a urinal as opposed to the toilet. He thought that was just the greatest thing! So, this weekend when I had the kids out with me, we stopped and got lunch. After lunch we went to the rest room - obviously the ladies room - to clean up and do what you're supposed to do: go to the bathroom! So, as we're walking in, he says "I want to go to the men's room and use that open toilet". So I said "well, you can't go to the men's room without Daddy". To which he replies "well, you just come with me!" So I explained that women can't go in the men's room and vice versa, so whenever he's out with me until he gets older he has to go to the ladies room. It's just not safe for a young boy to be alone in a men's room without his Daddy. This is all being explained as he's in the handicapped stall of the restroom because the one other stall was occupied.

So, he says to me "Um, Mommy, this toilet's too tall..." Never even dawned on me - I forgot the handicapped toilet's higher. So I open the door and peek in and say "Hmmm. Sorry about that. You sure you can't just lean in a bit?" To which he replied "No, um, it's not long enough." It took everything I had not to laugh out loud...Those are words that I hope he never has to repeat again! Yes, these are just some of the things that as a girl, I guess I'm pretty inexperienced with.

At the same time, I have a funny feeling that my daughter - who is enthralled with watching my son use the bathroom (I don't mind, it seems to be interesting her in potty training - and he thinks it's a riot!) - is going to try to pee standing up! Now how am I going to explain that one I wonder.....?

11 comments:

Cheryl said...

That is SO funny! I played this exact same scene with My Boy a few years ago, which makes it even funnier!

Martie said...

This is too funny! As a Mom and Grandma, I can attest to the fact that every little girl will try and pee standing up at one time during pottie training. Don't let anyone tell you that little girls can't aim.....one of our granddaughters peed all over Bumpa's (their word for Grandpa) leg.

What a joy they must be to you and hubby and all grandparents involved!

Big Ben said...

I could pee in a handicap toilet at birth.

*** said...

That's so funny! Kids say the funniest stuff! Just makes my day.

Karl said...

Ha, you've just got to love children. Adorable. I'm sure anyone else in the bathroom at the time was inwardly cracking up.

chesneygirl said...

HILARIOUS!!!
My son is almost two, haven't started the potty training yet but I'm sure I'll have some great stories when we do!

Rebecca said...

Karl & Gabreal - Welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

Ben - Why does that not surprise me??? hahaha.

Laura - those are EXACTLY the thoughts that go through my head.

Cheryl - I knew you'd get a kick out of it! hahaha.

Martie - Yes, the kids are an absolute light of my life. Such a joy....I wish their grandparents were around to enjoy them as much as we do... :(

Dale - I hear ya cluckin big chicken! ;) No worries - only giggles here.

Kristi - Hope it was good medicine for ya! ;)

Chesney Girl - You're back!!!! :)

bigwhitehat said...

Why do you wonder? Explaining this to your daughter is pretty simple. I'm sure she has already figured out that she doesn't have right rig for that.

As far as the book of funny quotes goes, you may want to leave this one out. He just might resent it if you bring this up in 6 or 7 years. Don't forget the story though. This is the stuff of excellent teenage blackmail. It only gets better as they get older.

But of course I'm just a father of 5. All the real experts write books.

Nunzia said...

that is HILARIOUS! my fiance has a five year old (girl) and I'm now learning all the fun there is to accompanying little ones to the bathroom also... what a trip!

Martie said...

Too bad about their grandparents....they are missing out on so much. They don't have a clue! I wouldn't miss spending time with my grandkids for anything! And I have 13 and one more on the way! Each and everyone is special to us!

Not-So-Naughty Voyeur said...

That's funny. I didn't have that discussion.. whew :)