Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Weekend in New England....

We are so fortunate, living in New England.
Truly.

This morning as I was getting ready for work, I was thinking about how the change of seasons - puts us in a great mood. We're always happy for the first snow, and the crisp tingle in the air. Christmas just wouldn't be the same without it. While I'm sure Christmas in Honolulu is amazing - there's something about the snap of the cold air, frost on the windows and a roaring fireplace that makes a person feel warm and fuzzy for the holiday season.

Then of course, there's the snap of Spring. The sun stays out longer, it's brighter and happier - and even though it's often raining and damp - it's not snowing....and that makes us long for the flowers to bloom. There's always the clamor to see the first crocus or daffodil pop up - sometimes through the leftover bits of snow that haven't quite melted....

Once summer hits - it's usually full speed ahead -- though we've been known to have some duds of a summertime. But typically, weekends like the one we just experienced can't help but make even those who have troubles in their heart - feel lighter in spirit. You can't help but smile and feel good when the sun is baking and the air is warm.

When the first sting of cool air comes and the leaves turn vibrant colors of orange, red and gold - we are blessed with the most gorgeous of all seasons, which is Autumn. I think we are so very fortunate to have warm days, cool nights and full foliage color all around us.

We're spoiled because no one season stays around too long for us to become bored or jaded by it. We always have a change of season to revitalize, renenergize and soothe our souls. We have smells in the air to remind us of sporting seasons, holidays, the first day of school - or the last day of summer.

I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Though I may sometimes long for different locations, I would never - could never - live anyplace else.

Boston, you're my home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this post actually brought a slight tear to my eye - so well written!

Rebecca said...

Thanks Anonymous. :) I do really love it here.... if you're from around here, then I'm sure you know exactly what I mean!

Elaine said...

I couldn't agree more. If it were always 70 degrees and sunny it would be quite boring. I love the change of seasons.