Wednesday, April 24, 2013

“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: we need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” — Philip Pullman

(Before I begin this post - let me just say that Angie Miller from our very own Beverly - is insanely good.  She could be the next Kelly Clarkson/Carrie Underwood.  Crazy talented....nice to see "Boston" represented for a change!)

So I recently found my charger for my Nook (which, actually was G's Nook- I bought it for him for Xmas one year, but unfortunately he was not impressed...so mine it became.)  I am definitely more of a "see, touch, feel" kind of girl with the reading experience.  I love the book store.  I love the feel of the books, the smell - and the visual of it all.

At the same time - it's almost like walking into a DSW; it's sensory overload and I don't know where to begin so sometimes....I wander aimlessly, and end up leaving empty handed. 

(Imagine, a girl leaving a shoe store emptyhanded? Yes, that is a horror.  But trust me, I've done it.)

I also hesitate to buy the "trendy" books.  A while back, I did the book club thing -- and some of the books we read, or books I read on my own that were Oprah's "must reads" were really not that great.  Disappointing even.  Of course, reading books like Memoirs of a Geisha or Kite Runner can pretty much ruin you for all other books.  Brilliant writing, whether it's in books or music can make you incredibly particular for future enjoyment.

So my question out there to any of you bloggers - are any of you on the Nook?  Are you interested in sharing books?  And at a minimum - could you share titles that you found to be interesting to read?  I'm game for just about anything but Nora Roberts types of books. 

Let me know! I'd love to start reading again....

1 comment:

~**Dawn**~ said...

A couple of years ago, I decided somewhere along the way that I had allowed myself to slip away from reading and I missed it. So I made a point to do it more. I don't read electronically, so I am no help there -- I make excellent use of my public library, which actually has a great set-up: the whole county is part of a library co-op, so if my branch doesn't have a book I want to read, but another library within the county does, I submit a request online and they deliver it TO MY BRANCH. I think it is the coolest thing, but I am dorky like that. Anyway, the best took I've found for tracking what I've read and what I want to read and finding recommendations is the site Goodreads. I bet I am on it at least once per day.