Monday, September 10, 2012

"Where did you graduate again? The University of "Duhhhh...?" - Stewie Griffin

It looks like we've got an election coming up folks.

I don't pay much attention to either of the National Conventions; to me it's all a lot of rah rah sis boom bah rhetoric to rally the bases and try to generate swing votes.  I'm all about the debates.  Think of it as dinner...do you want to fill up on the appetizers, or do you want to get right down to the meat and potatoes? 

So, that being said - while I'm a registered Independent, I've often found myself leaning towards Libertarian.  Fiscally conservative, socially liberal, smaller government. There are some who I'd really love to vote for, but sometimes they are so far "out there" - they're too extremist for me as well!  So while I did watch about 8 minutes of the Republican convention - I couldn't really tolerate much of it this time around.  They're just so far to the right on so many issues, I had a challenging time watching.  The Democratic one, held my attention a little longer; who doesn't love Bill Clinton?  And whether I agree with the stances on some issues, and not so much on others - the Democratic speeches just make you feel good.  (Although Deval Patrick's speech was a classic study in irony; if only he was as good of a Governor as he is public speaker. Um, Mr. Fraud, Waste & Abuse.   But he's lobbying for a cabinet position anyway, no?  Lobbying...hmm, interesting choice of words.  I've gotten into many a debate over the past few weeks about lobbying.  Because really - every one has someone in their back pocket in politics, no?  But I digress....)

So, I took a few Political quizzes for funsies to see where I fall.  Granted, the questions are a little bated and not incredibly specific so I have to answer as closely to what I believe in as possible.  But here are my results.  I find it interesting that I always seem to fall middle of the road.  But that's what an Independent truly is, no?

Test 1:  You are a Moderate.  If you’re a registered member of the GOP, some would call you a RINO – a Republican in name only! You believe in moderation in matters of gun control, government spending, drug laws, same-gender marriage, abortion and public spending. In most issues, you’re middle of the road … but still you’re not all that comfortable with somebody calling you a “liberal.”

Test 2:  Right Centrist: There's a chance that you're a libertarian.  You value the freedom to be able to do what you want with your money, and you have some value for the personal liberties of others, but you won't take those freedoms to the extreme. You may disagree with the full legalization of prostitution, or perhaps the legalization of drugs, but for the most part you're a live-and-let-live kind of person. So long as people don't try and take your money.

Test 3:  Libertarian. 
Your PERSONAL issues Score is 70%
Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 80%
According to your answers, the political group that agrees with you most is...

Libertarians support maximum liberty in both personal and economic matters. They advocate a much smaller government; one that is limited to protecting individuals from coercion and violence. Libertarians tend to embrace individual responsibility, oppose government bureaucracy and taxes, promote private charity, tolerate diverse lifestyles, support the free market, and defend civil liberties.

No comments: