Friday, December 10, 2010

Over the river and to the woods, to Grandmother's house we go....

1. What is your favorite Christmas Movie?
My absolute all time favorite is "Miracle on 34th St." - but I love, love, love the one with Natalie Wood.

2. Favorite Christmas Song?
This is a tough question. I'm sort of a purist, so most of my favorites are the classics -though I love them redone by artists such as Josh Grobin, Martina McBride, Carrie Underwood, etc. I typically love "Oh, Holy Night", "What Child is This", "Do you hear what I hear", etc.

But....I also love some newer songs, such as "Believe" by Josh Groban, "Where are you Christmas" by Faith Hill - and who didn't get choked up hearing "Buy these shoes" by Bob Carlisle when it first came out.

3. Favorite Holiday Memory?
I have so many great holiday memories. My favorite is a tie: surprising my sister & aunt w. my Mother after she moved to Florida. I have that one on tape....and they had no clue. She was hiding in the bathroom, and then came out to the dinner table without anyone noticing until she was there. Priceless...

Second, was G surprising me with a spectacular scavenger hunt around the house....just to end up back where I started with a beautiful diamond ring waiting for me. The hunt was even better than the reward - because the sentiment and romance that went into it - was invalueable. It wasn't my original diamond either, but a holiday "upgrade", if you will.

4. What kind of cookie/treat do you like to make?
Um, not sure if you're new to this blog, but I cook. I don't bake. For lack of a better term, I suck at baking.

5. Have you ever made an igloo? Like a real igloo?
No, but I've many a mean snow fort in my day. I was a kid during the Blizzard of '78 - and man, did we have snow. But in general, we had a ton more snow when I was little than we get today.

6. Do you love Starbucks?
As a matter of fact - I do. After years of throwing away cups of poorly made coffee - I finally get a perfect cup nearly every time. I was paying $2.10 at Dunks for a medium that was either burned, tasted like soap, wasn't made properly, or some other atrocity. Now, I pay $2.25 for a Grande and it's perfect every flipping time. Sure - it took me some time to get used to a stronger cup of coffee but it's so worth it. And no one makes a better peppermint mocha!

7. What makes the perfect Snowman?
All of its imperfections! It's all about the love....

8 What is your favorite part about Christmas?
What isn't there to love? I love it all. I can't say which one is my favorite part actually -- I love to give gifts, I love to cook dinner, I love to decorate the tree - I love to drive around looking at Christmas lights with kids, I love receiving everyone's Christmas cards. And best of all, I love the sense of spirit and happiness that everyone seems to be in this time of year.

9. Best gift you have ever received?
I've been fortunate to have received so many great gifts; I'm incredibly sentimental, so when I say I don't have a "best" gift - I mean it. However, my most treasured possession is also one of my most sentimental gifts - and it's a home made recipe book that my parents gave me when I was in my 20's; it features all of their recipes that are my childhood favorites - and new ones that they thought I might like. Everything is printed and in protective binders in a three ring notebook.

10. What is the snowman's name on Rudolph?
There's a snowman in Rudolph?
Oh...the narrator?! I don't know. But Burl Ives is his voice. (It took a second for that to click for me!)

11.Silver or Gold?
Depends on what, and where. For example, I prefer silver or white gold jewelry. But I love brushed gold matte ornaments - or gold brocade on burgundy velvet.

12. What is your favorite Christmas decoration?
The tree. And of course -fabulously scented candles because it's all about ambiance!

13. What's your Christmas decorating style?
I'd say overall traditional leaning towards victorian - but I have lots of fun and whimsical thrown in there.

14. Do you hang stockings?
No...the kids don't really know about stocking stuffers yet. Thank God!

15. How many days do you celebrate Christmas?
Did something change...? Isn't it only one day??

16. What was your favorite ornament on the tree as a child?
The play doh ornaments my Mom would let me make.

17. Where will you be spending this Christmas?
At home. Christmas is at my house - and it's always dinner that is a huge celebration.

18. What is your least favorite Christmas movie?
I don't know actually.

19. What do you want for Christmas this year?
World peace. The cure for Cancer. Jason Varitek.
(What?? It's not like I'm asking for a million dollars or anything...! )

20. Have you been naughty or nice this year?
I'm always, painfully, boring and nice. G wishes that there was a bit more naughty in me, but hey - a girl can't be perfect, right?

No comments: