Friday, September 04, 2009

Those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer....

I can't believe it's already Labor Day weekend!
Where did the summer go?

This weekend, my grandma and two of my aunts are flying in for a celebration over the weekend here in MA. I haven't seen my grandmother since my son was 2.5 and we brought him to Disney. He's now 8; that's a long time -- and with my Grandma having just turned 90, realistically this may be the last time I see her. That's a relatively sobering thought for me.

I've never liked the fact that my family became so disconnected and geographically seperated over the years. I know it started for medical reasons -- and then just became the way it was done it seems (and lots of families are that way, it's not incredibly unusual); at the same time, I know I'll never do that with my own family unit. I can't imagine being away from the kids when they're older, and their new families -- plus, I know how it impacted me, and I would never want my kids to feel some of the emptiness I've felt at not having family to connect with. It's one thing if they choose to move -- but we, will never move away from them.

That being said, it's going to be a fantatsic surprise when I meet them at the airport this morning with the kids! My aunts and grandma have never met my daughter; and actually - one of my aunts never met my son now that I think of it. And I've only met her sons once, maybe twice - and they're now 18 and 20. Such an odd thought when she was such a big part of my childhood years.

Lots of things going on this weekend....relatives visiting, birthday parties, bbqs, shopping for last minute school things for Princess Petunia (who starts Tuesday!) so this is going to be a busy Labor Day weekend which is rather nice considering I don't have an office to go back to on Tuesday! (Though, I do have quite the job ahead of me....and with yoga now only once a week, I'm starting running outdoors again on Tuesdsay. Finally.....)

Ah yes, the yellow jacket story. Well, I'll save that for another time.....
Have a fabulous weekend!

No comments: