Friday, September 11, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year.....

I don't care if we hit 90 degrees tomorrow -- it will be "indian summer" from here on in. It is most definitely the beginning of my very favorite time of year.

I'm sitting here in my Snuggie, and waiting for it to get just a bit darker before I light the first fire of the season in my fireplace. Chicken is roasting in the oven with fresh garlic, marsala and orange sauce....the house just smells like home, happiness and harvest. I've even picked up a fresh turkey to make for tomorrow's dinner because it's supposed to be a rainy and cool day again and what's better than roasting turkey on just a random day - rather than on Thanksgiving?

This weekend, it's a lazy Friday night for us just relaxing and unwinding from a relatively stressful week. Tomorrow we're picking up one of my nephews for a sleepover, and then we've got my son's first travel soccer game. He's really excited to be playing another community and it's a home game for us which is great. Afterwards, we'll come home and the kids will play - I'll pop in the turkey and maybe even bake a pumpkin pie. (Oh yeah baby.....) Sunday, we have my niece's 4th birthday party so that will be a great day too; all leading up to the big Monday night football game. I'll have to think of something delicious to make for dinner that night too. What's football, without good eating? That would be just wrong.

Autumn to me is all about good food, good sports, fantastic smells and lots of color. It's the smell of crisp air, sultry smoke, sweet apples, warm pies and savory pumpkin; it's the sound of leaves crunching underneath your feet and the sight of bright sunflowers and fiery leaves. The fall is just a "feel good", warm and fuzzy time of year.

And this girl is so very happy that it's here.
Have a fabulous weekend!

1 comment:

~**Dawn**~ said...

This is the only time of year I miss New England (well and if you have snow for the holidays). It *feels* like time for it to be cool & crisp but we still have 6 weeks of hot & humid to go before even the first hint of relief. =/