Saturday, December 01, 2012

Bring us some figgy pudding...

I've already started planning my holiday menu.
I "think" I may have it all set, minus a few details.

As I've mentioned before, this is the one dinner that I really like to get very formal with multiple courses and we really take our time and dine.  Usually, I start with personal shrimp cocktail for everyone - but this time, I'm going to do something different and start with sorbet.  I know typically sorbet is used before the main course as a palate freshener however...since we will be having so much wine, will sorbet actually really do anything outside of ruin the wine?  Exactly.  So that's why I'm thinking of starting with it....

Then we'll have stuffed scallops, bacon wrapped shrimp - and a soup that I have yet to decide on.  Typically I make Lobster Bisque every other year (last year was Vichyssoise) but I think I'm going to pass on that this year.  I may have the traditional Creamy Artichoke Soup make a reappearance.  (I made it a few years back with Goose and it was outstanding, if I do say so myself!).

Then, we'll have our pasta course - Lobster Ravioli's with Vodka Sauce garnished with freshly shredded lobster tails.  Simple salad to go with it.

Finally, the main course.  I always serve ham and one other main course - and that other main course has had me rather perplexed.  I've done Chateaubriand and Filet Mignon the last two years, and I would've chosen Turducken except where I just did Thanksgiving I'm a little turkey'd out.  So this year I think I'm going to make Duck Breast L'Orange.  Boneless, skinless and yummy. 

The sides of sausage stuffed peppers, roasted potatoes and asparagus are the perfect accompaniments to just about any meal.

So this is why when I say Thanksgiving is my least favorite food holiday - I mean it.  I love turkey, and it's all good for a warm and cozy Sunday afternoon.  But to me, holidays are special and magical...not just the fact that it's one of the few times that everyone from immediate to extended family sits together around a table and laughs - but also because something a little special and different than the norm, is shared as well.  I'm all for comfortable and familiar, but there's something to be said about interesting and different.  

It's all tradition...no matter how you serve it.

1 comment:

Suldog said...

Wow. Fantastic menu. Duck L'Orange... one of my favorites. I would go through your Christmas table like a locust after a 17-year nap.