Saturday, July 07, 2007

Life's a Beach!

Today, the kids and I are off to meet a girlfriend of mine from work at NewCastle Beach in NH. I've never been before - it's supposed to be pretty nice, and it's only about an hour from me so it's going to be a nice ride to just relax, drink my coffee and hope that the sun breaks through the clouds like the meterologists have predicted.

Not too long ago, another friend of mine in work and I were discussing beaches one day, and what were some of the qualities that one might look for in finding the "perfect" beach.
So here are some of things I love about a beach...what are some of the things you love?

Sand: I like soft, soft sand for lounging on. But it's also great when there's really firm sand if you want to do some running. I just don't love the sharp, shelled filled sand that we often have here in New England. It hurts your feet!!!

Cliffs/Rocks: Ideally, I love to go climbing the rocks along the water. Think sort of like where you can walk out at Rockport - but for a much longer stretch. Some of the smaller beaches in Marblehead have that. I love to just pack a bag, and hang out on the rocks.

Live Band: Tons of fun, especially at night!! During the day...that depends on the mood.

North Shore v.South Shore: I think you're either one of these types of people. I've always been a North Shore kind of girl. I bet I could learn to love the Cape if the traffic wasn't such a freaking nightmare all the time. The warmer water would be nice, that's for sure!

Cleanliness: A clean beach, with nice facilities around it is a must. Being a North Shore girl, I grew up being minutes from Revere Beach. Not so clean. Better than it was at one point but not ideal. King's Beach in Lynn/Swampscott has been cleaned up tremendously and is a beautiful beach to go walking/running on. Especially if you're a dog lover!

3 comments:

Tim said...

On beaches:

Hanging out on the cliffs/rocks near the water in Rockport, Gloucester or Marblehead is definitely fun.

North Shore beaches are good for day trips, but to properly enjoy the Cape you need to make a weekend out of it by renting a motel room. And the cove side is much better than the Ocean side, because the water is shallower and warmer and it's like you can walk for miles.

Soft sand is definitely better than soft sand with shell fragments. Hard sand definitely is better for running on.

Live music is cool, but I'd rather have my CD walkman plugged in to my ears.

A clean beach is an absolute necessity, which is something many north shore beaches lack. I think.

Honestly though, I prefer a beach on a lake instead of at the ocean - at least here in the northeast, anyway.

Have a great day at the beach!

David Sullivan said...

The only beaches in Mass worth a damn are on the Cape. Best beach in NE, Oguquit, hands down. Great sand, great scenery(wink, wink). The french Canadians add some zest to the place and the gays keep it interesting. (I say "the gays" in an endearing, love those crazy bastards kind of way)

I'll be spending a week there in 19 days!!!

Susan said...

So, how was the beach?