Monday, July 09, 2007

Who even wants to watch anymore?

Last night, as I channel surfed I came upon a reality television show that I swore I wouldn't watch again: Big Brother. Now in it's 8th season.

I can't believe this show made it this long. The first season, was really good. I liked it; it was a new concept and the people on it were pretty cool. Seemingly regular people from different walks of life that were trying to compete for money. The second season was really good too - a little more strategic at times but just a good group of people to watch. They seemed to genuinely either like or dislike each other, but it didn't seem overly played up for the camera. And then of course, September 11th happened - and to me, reality television was put in it's place by reality on television.

I attempted to watch the Big Brother 3 - but hated it. I don't think I made it past the second week. It became too much of a Survivor type show, but in a house. I hate Survivor. I hate the egos, the alliances, the drama. Big Brother had drama that was self created from within; once the producers start mucking with it, adding drama and pitting people against each other - never mind hiring people that seemingly were actors trying to get their 15 minutes of fame - it all went south for me.

Big Brother 8 is no different. Everyone seems horribly over dramatic and hyped up; even the "Mom" figure seems like she's playing for the camera. Everyone's either very hot, very dumb, very shallow, very quirky or very gay. Everyone is to the extreme of their personality type. There's no "normal" or "middle of the road"on the show. It's become "The Real World" but 24-7 with challenges, competitions and alliances. One girl, "Jen" - literally cried for 20 minutes because she didn't like her picture. I'm talking sobbing, bawling, crying. Seriously?!?!?!

I hate stupid television shows. Don't the networks realize that sometimes, the novelty has worn off?

5 comments:

Suldog said...

Gawd. The only reality shows I've ever watched and enjoyed were "Last Comic Standing" (I like to laugh) and "Amish In The City". And I never saw the finale of "Amish In The City", so I'm pissed at the genre on general principles.

Susan said...

Nope, funny, people continue to watch. That's the number one problem.

Martie said...

I never got into watching any of the reality shows.....probably because of too much reality in my own little world!!!

Hugs

Big Ben said...

Big Brother is a horrible shows - it was from Day 1. I actually watched a lot of the first season because the winner was from my University - he thought he was the funniest guy at school, people tended to laugha at him more because he was disabled.

chesneygirl said...

I feel this same way about the show Survivor. How many have they had now? Like 10 or 12?
Come on already!! The novelty has long wore off.... like 8 or 9 seasons ago!