Friday, July 27, 2007

Family is one of nature's masterpieces...

Today is my father's birthday.
Yesterday was my Grandmother's birthday. His mother, actually.
I have yet to call either of them, and will have to do it tonight.


Birthdays in my family aren't a whole lot of fun, truthfully. Mostly because my family isn't around to share them with.I would love to have had a big birthday party for both my father and my Grandma. He's 60; and I'm not quite sure how old she is - 85 maybe?

As you get older, birthdays are milestones. Times to celebrate and enjoy spending time with one another.
But…we just don't have that in my family.

I try to make birthdays special for what family I do have near me - and I love having my family around.
Truthfully, I do it not only for them - but also for me as well. It gives me the "feeling" of family that I that don't have on a regular basis.

Emails and phone calls just aren't the same as sitting around the table together, sharing a meal.
Emailing pictures from birthday parties aren't the same as having kids eat a piece of cake with their Nana or Papa by their side.

I know that families aren't the same today as they were years ago; and birthdays are just one day a year - there are hundreds of day to day events that could be shared. But that doesn't mean that I don't wish that I could have that same time of togetherness for my own family.

So days like today, are times when I really wish I had my parents and my own grandparents close by.
And we could all celebrate the good times of meeting a milestone, together.

2 comments:

Martie said...

You are so correct in thinking that the older one gets the more of a milestone they become. I turned 61 years old this past May and am so very glad that God blessed me with that many years. I do have most of my family close by and we are able to share in so many every day things together....I can't imagine not being able to do that. My younger sister suggest we move to Colorado to be near her.....but I couldn't leave my kids and grandkids! Keep them in your heart and keep up the phone calls and e-mails so it doesn't feel so lonely!

Hugs

Anonymous said...

I clicked on your blog, because I was sure someone was writing about me.. lol.. I can't believe I'm going on 36, I mean I really was just 25 wasn't I.. that seemed like a milestone for me then, and my kids, they were just babies weren't they, now they're both almost taller then I, and one is 14 and the other only 6.. Time will pass you by, if you don't hang on for dear life!