Monday, July 22, 2013

Summer winds....

This school break is going by in a blur of sunshine and chlorine.

I can't believe the kids are going back in a month!  Where does the time go?  We've had lots of fun in the yard, and even squeaked in a beach day; the kiddies have half day camps this week and in another week and a half - but other than that, we haven't done a whole heck of a lot.

It's funny, when I was a kid - we did nothing.  Literally.  I'd wake up in the morning, throw clothes on and run outside to play with any one of the kids in my neighborhood who may have gotten up early like I did.  All day games of 7 Up, bike riding, exploring, walking, kickball - you name it.  The summers seemed endless and were filled with sunshowers, playing with the hose or sprinkler - walking to the MDC pool - or hanging out in the park at the end of my street. 

So I wonder why I feel like my kids aren't having the time of their lives if I am not taking them places or doing things?  It's funny how we try to over compensate as parents.  It's not as if at the time I felt like I didn't have a great summer each year; at the same time - as an adult, I realize how much I missed out on, even simple things like going to the beach.

Life is good.  They're having a blast just laying low and enjoying their yard and down time.
I wish it didn't have to end so soon!

No comments: