Monday, July 02, 2012

Call me... on a line, you can call me any day or night...

Back when I was a kid, the quote was "video killed the radio star".
While it seemed to be true...the truth is - fortunately, not quite.

The new quote of this generations is "social media killed the telephone call".
And this my friends, is very true.

Gone are the days of the long phone calls with my girlfriends...no one wants to actually talk anymore; if you can't get your point across in 140 characters or less, clearly it's useless information.  We make plans via Twitter, Facebook, EVITE, and God knows what other social forum out there.  We don't send thank you cards -- we post it.  Or text it.  Or Facebook it. If you didn't get it on the social status feed, oops - sorry!  It either didn't happen, or you just weren't quick enough to find out about it.  Hit refresh.

We don't even get emails anymore -- or at least I don't.  My emails are all sales related, work related - or spam.  I don't even get the chain "meme" emails anymore.  No one says "hi, how are you" or anything anymore.  I remember when "everyone" (the collective name for the powers that be that we don't really see or hear -- but their opinon matters and they are clearly the end all...) thought that emails were going to be the downfall of the future, as it was often composed of abbreviated words and acronyms; no one would actually write "ha ha ha" when they could just write "LOL".

Imagine the horror they must feel when they see the young kids writing things on social media such as "yesssssssss I loooveeee thattttt".  (Which, to be truthful I must be getting old because I don't see the point to drag all those letters out.  If you spoke the way that's written, you'd be the most annoying person on the planet - maybe even more so than Kim Kardashian or Kendra Wilkinson  - and that's a tough thing to pull off.  But I digress....)

How sad is it that if you don't see the caller id when a call comes in - you don't recognize the voice that's calling; and forget about it if they're calling from a number other than their own. 

I don't know about you, but I miss my phone calls.  They were my social interaction without having to leave my phone.  We'd catch up after a girls night out or a family party... we'd call to express condolences if a friend or family member passed; we'd call just to chat about the rain.  Now, it's all about texts. 

And here's what I don't get; we'll have texts that are conversation strings.... why don't we just call each other?

Listen -- I love when my phone rings; it's like getting the mail.  It's fun and you never know who will be on the other end with interesting things to say.  So if you know me in real life my friends -- call me!!

1 comment:

Suldog said...

I have to say, I've never been a big fan of the telephone, so e-mail is just fine for me as a substitute. However, nothing can take the place of a wonderful piece of real mail arriving. A birthday or Christmas card from a loved one, a real sit-down-and-handwrite-it letter, maybe some photos from family or a postcard, or (God forbid what would have become of me without these) love letters. Treasured, all of them, and I can't imagine the same feelings being generated by e-mail, especially in replacing the love letters!