Monday, February 04, 2013

Oh mama mia, mama mia...

What in the world is going on with Mother's these days?

I'll admit it, I've become quite the reality show fan - and Dance Moms is most definitely a guilty pleasure.  I watch it for the talent of the girls, and while at first it was funny to watch the Moms bicker, at this point - or rather, this season - I find it so disturbing how disrespectful. self righteous and rude these women are not only to each other, but to their children's teacher and most importantly - they have no filter and fight in front of these young girls!  What's even more unsettling is that this season more than ever, their teacher (whom I do like and think well of, despite her often harsh tactics) is being relatively unkind to these really little girls out of frustration towards their misbehaving mothers.

What kind of message are we sending young girls today?
We're telling them that it's okay to be catty and for lack of a better term - bitchy - to one another.  That it's okay to buck up against authority.  There's no shame in being disrespectful.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that at all.

Women need to stick together, to be on each other's team and to support one another.
Competition can be healthy, but it's unhealthy to feed upon one another in a sporting environment.

Disrespect is unattractive, disgraceful and less than kind.  These are not traits we should be raising young women to have.

Sometimes, we can't get our own way....we can't always win....we won't always get picked....and we will often be told "no".

And as a mother of a young girl who I'm trying tirelessly to teach the importance of respect and kindness to (in a world where respect is almost a dying art)  - I can't understand how the women who are on this show can watch it back and think to themselves "yes, I look good out there....".

It's very, very disappointing.

No comments: