Saturday, September 16, 2006

It takes one to know one...

The term "Goddess" literally means:
1. A female being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people.
2. A female being believed to be the source of life and being and worshiped as the principal deity in various religions.
3. An image of a female supernatural being; an idol.
4. A woman of great beauty or grace.


Yet in today's society, we - women - use it as a term to embrace who we are as a person. It's a word used for self appreciation, as most of us know that our gender is often so loving of everyone else around us, we tend to forget to love ourselves. We pick ourselves apart and place ourselves last in line. So to coin a phrase, to be "the goddesses that we are" is merely just to love ourselves despite our shortcomings. No one is perfect, and though we may accept the imperfections of others, we're far harder on accepting the imperfections within ourselves.

And it's fun to use the term. We can be Domestic Goddesses, Shopping Goddesses....or, as I like to use the term penned by Liz Phair - Average, every-day sane psycho Super Goddess. For me, it covers all bases!

We're not perfect creatures by default; and once we embrace that - then I think that is when we can truly be happy with ourselves. I know I'm a work in progress....and I'm okay with that. I think I'm generally happy with myself, though I may not always be happy with the circumstances I might be in at any given time. And I don't know that the two are always mutually exclusive... And while I've had others in my life try to tear me down, or try to make me feel that I'm not a good person - it's always been that Goddess inside who never let that happen.

You Are Artemis!

Brave, and a natural born leader.
You're willing to fight for what you believe in...
And willing to make tough decisions.
Don't forget - the people around you have ideas too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:)

happy birthday