Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Aint Nothin' Gonna Break My Stride...

I've always been a "sink or swim" kind of person. I prefer to face challenges head on, with little or no prepping and just go. With auditions, I prefer cold readings. With presentations - I never practice a speech; I just put my materials together and go. If I start a new job, I prefer minimal training - show me the bare essentials of what I need to know and I'll figure the rest out. That's not to say that there isn't a time and place for preparation because there is - but if given the choice I like to bear down hard and charge ahead.

Seems that I'm taking that route with the exercise thing. I'm doing well with working out and running - I'm feeling good about it. Normally, I need to work out with a group, to get that motivation and competitive juice flowing within me. I usually pick the best person in my class, and in my head - challenge myself to be better than they are. I can't help it - it's just how I am. But this time, I'm working out alone. Which for me, is difficult because I have no competition to motivate myself. It's only me.... competing with me.

But then - the email came in today. One of my girlfriends asked if I wanted to run a 5k with her in October. And so now - I have increased motivation. I can push myself to stay focused even if I'm doing it alone, because I've got this race coming up. I've never run in one, and it is something that is on my list of "things to do". Sure it's only a 5k, and it's only one race; but I need something to focus myself on and if running road races is it - I'll take it! I haven't been able to get back to going to karate or kickboxing mostly because of the travel aspect of getting to class, or timing - and that was my one real hobby that I took the time to do. And even that, I wasn't able to pursue as fully as I'd wanted to.


So, here's a toast to my new goal:

"The mile has all the elements of a drama."
Sir Roger Bannister

4 comments:

chesneygirl said...

*raising my glass*

You go girl! I'm quite confident you'll do really well.

My younger brother just started running 5K's last summer and then just recently a 10K. His new goal?...a marathon!!

Martie said...

Good for you.....I would love to participate in a 5k, but at 60 and with heart issues it's too late for me. Good luck in the race!

I'm going to take the opportunity to respond to your questions here, okay?
Amy has the gastrointestinal problems also, that's why any surgery to remove tumors in her heart is so dangerous for her! :(

I chose 'in the middle' because of my birth order....middle child (older sister and younger sister - me, I'm in the middle!

As to the 'S__t Creek' picture, I actually found it online just the way you see it! Cool huh....it just fit perfect for what I was going to post that day!

bigwhitehat said...

Stretch first.
Beleive me. A pulled hamstring will indeed break your stride.

joy said...

That sounds awesome ! Run Rebecca Runnn!