Tuesday, March 24, 2009

And the grapefruit moon, one star shining, is all that I can see...

I ran out at lunch today and picked up some sushi, and some fruit to enjoy at my desk.
(Hi, I'm Rebecca and clearly - I'm addicted to sushi.)

The fruit was a small container of Del Monte Fruit Naturals, Ruby Red Grapefruit.
Can I just tell you?
I love, love, love grapefruit.

And yet - it's probably been, oh - about 30 years since I've eaten it. I think I had it so much as a child - and didn't always love it back then because often it can be too tart - that I must've blocked it out my wants and desires for food as an adult. So all these years, I've cold shouldered something that I clearly enjoy.

I don't know what inspired me to buy it; outside of the fact that it just looked appealing. I'm typically a pineapple kind of girl, but today -- I mixed it up.

Taking that first taste today, brought me back to being about 7 years old in my kitchen on Porter Street. My Dad had cut me a half of grapefruit and we were sitting at the table all of us (must've been a Sunday) and I'm wrestling with trying to scoop out the fruit with a spoon; I glance over and see my Dad who's not only eaten the fruit, but drinking the juice from the empty half he's got. And that's all I remember, but it was a very vivid glimpse back into my childhood.

And to think -- that all started with a bite of fruit....
The mind is a very powerful thing.

6 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

I very recently had my own trip down memory lane in relation to grapefruit!

Suldog said...

Taste is a very powerful associative, that's for sure. I'm constantly transported back to childhood by various tastes (and smells) about which I retain strong memories.

Suzanne said...

Porter Street! I remember that house so well! For me, Porter Street conjures up memories of us doing a school project together, using horse stickers. Does that sound even vaguely familiar?

Suzanne said...

Oh, and birds and woodland creatures...!

Rebecca said...

LOL Suzanne - that was one of our term papers. I think you did horses -- and I did flags. I think that was one of the years we were in the same class (it might have been 4th?) and Mrs. Ring was our substitute teacher. She gave us "F"s on our projects because we didn't do bibliography notes correctly or something -- but we clearly excelled in everything else. We did all the work at my house, remember we traced things on tracing paper to go with the paper,and colored them in. My mom was so pissed off at her she went up and ripped her a new one - and she regraded us and gave us "A"'s. LOL.

I remember having her as a summer school teacher my sophomore year and I still held that against her. LOL.

Suzanne said...

You're memory is freakishly impressive. I don't even remember Mrs. Ring! But now that you mention it, I do remember the tracing paper.