Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My baby, she wrote me a letter....

Dear Co Worker: I hate to have to bring this up, however… please do not microwave your eggs with onions and peppers every morning in the microwave in our oh- so-little and very open work space. I hate to sound like a total "you know what", but...aside from the fact that it doesn’t smell nearly as appetizing as it would at home, it is absolutely overpowering. Completely permeating not only every fabric in the work area – but lingering into my hair, or at least it seems that way. I keep smelling my wrist to bring back the lovely smell of my perfume in an effort to mask the onions, but alas – it’s not working well. Oh, and by the way -- the rotting fruit you’ve got stored in your cubicle – please throw away. The last thing we need in this place are fruit flies! (Word to the wise, I’m not the one who’s been throwing it away on you when it’s practically ready to walk on it’s own….but don’t tempt me to start doing it as well!)

Dear DSW: I love you. You are truly a girl’s best friend. Thank you so much for having the most fabulous clearance section, ever. Where else can a girl buy the most gorgeous Steve Madden and Jessica Simpson shoes (which I’ve got to be honest, I’d have never thought I’d buy anything of hers yet they screamed my name and let me tell you – they are pretty damn smoking on.) and not even spend $40? (Actually, I want to throw out a note to Steve Madden too: you make the most comfortable heels a girl could ask for. Petite girls like myself tend to love a heel, and if it’s a comfortable one at that – such a bonus. You rock.)

Dear Charities: You know I love to give to you as much as possible. I donate year round to my personal favorites of The Jimmy Fund, Autism Speaks, Children’s Hospital and local Battered Women’s Shelters. However, this year I will be donating once again to a good cause – Pitching in for Kids, as well as possibly attending a soiree next week with one of my girlfriends. (Sure, there may be a certain somebody who’s “hosting” it… but that aside -- what better place to break out the new Steve Madden’s? Just sayin’… )

In all seriousness, this is a fantastic charity that was started by two young female entrepreneurs like myself – and there’s no better way to support fellow women business owners and humanitarian oriented champions – than to support the cause.

Note to Self: Speaking of entrepreneurism….tomorrow’s the big day on the liquor license decision in the previously dry community. If it doesn’t go our way – well, then… it’s back to the drawing board. Everything happens for a reason, and sure I don’t love my day job, but maybe the thought would then need to turn to a community once again that doesn’t have such a controversy regarding licensing. Maybe it’s time to rethink a second Metro-Boston area. We’re already in Beacon Hill, maybe it’s time to think about someplace similar. Maybe I should forget the alcohol aspect entirely and just do gourmet foods and entertainment ware -- and stick with our preferred locales?

The world is my oyster, and if tomorrow doesn’t go our way – I can’t lose sight of that. Positive thinking….positive results…. Cautious optimism….Guarded excitement….and most importantly: breathe.

3 comments:

Suldog said...

Way cool! I'm sure we'll spot each other at some point during the festivities. Just remember when you see me in person to not judge this catcher's physique against Tek's. I'm more the Bob Montgomery or Doug Mirabelli model, these days...

Brandi said...

100% agree with you on Steve Madden shoes - and Jessica Simpson (some of her line is too fab to pass up)! I'm petite also, and since my husband's over 6', I HAVE to wear heels! :)

Good luck with the liquor license decision!

Rebecca said...

Suldog -- you are too funny! LOL.


Brandi -- thanks! I'm nervous. This could change everything...and it's something we've been working so long towards. We shall see!