Friday, April 18, 2008

What a day....

It is fabulous outside.  Fab-u-lous.  This is just a picture perfect day to end the week.  In honor of this gorgeous day, the girls and I have opted to order sushi and though we'd love to eat outdoors - alas, indoors we must stay.  Working lunch today…


But, I do have some thoughts to seal the week.  And they are as follows:


1.  Hitting vs. Pitching.  Clearly, there's some issues going on with aim lately.  Here's this girl's perspective on it - with the caveat that I am not a professional in the baseball industry, nor do I ever profess be an expert -- but it seems to me that there is a difference between a pitcher losing control of their pitch and clipping someone; and clearly trying to take a person's head off.  Which, not only is incredibly immature --it's dangerous.  A person could be killed with a fast ball to the head.  At a minimum, severely injured (Um, hello - everyone remembers Tony Conigliaro, just to name one?)  There's a difference between a pitch clipping someone's arm, back, ankle -- and them having to duck or twist their face out of the way.  Grow up - man up - and just play the game.


2.  Polygamy is wrong.  I don't care how glamourized "Big Love" has made it -- and I myself love that show -- it's is sick, twisted and wrong.  I get that the show puts a modern spin on the concept, but let's be honest - it is, what it is.  I heard people on talk radio this a.m. almost defending the latest group and questioning whether the children should be taken away or not.  One called had the audacity to say it was wrong taking the children away from their mothers in that group because women have "the innate will to nurture their children".  Seriously?!?!   Has this person (yes, he was a man) read the newspapers about all the horrific crimes against children that have been done at the hands of their own Mother?  Rape, Prostitution, Drug Abuse, Physical Abuse/Torture, and Murder.  Right here in MA -- not in some other state, and no religion is involved in it.  Please, don't stick your head in the sand about the abuses towards women and children hidden beneath the veil of religion.  Polygamy is heinous and abusive and illegal.  And there's no two ways about it.


3.  Rain Rain Go Away…. So, as I've mentioned before I'm going to Monday's Red Sox game and can't wait.  My friend Lynne and I are planning to jaunt around town for breakfast and then hit the field before watching the marathon finish up.  So, I'm cautiously optomistic about the weather.  I don't care if it's cloudy…I can bundle up - but please, please, this girl is begging for no rain!


4.  And last, but not least…  it's a beautiful day outside, supposed to be a gorgeous weekend.  If you aren't having the best of days today - or even if you are - here's a thought to hopefully at a minimum, bring a smile to your face.

"Open your eyes to the beauty around you.  Open your mind to the wonders of life.  Open your heart to those who love you.  And always, always be true to yourself."

3 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

Tony C & more recently, Matt Clement. Not hit by a pitch, but still a good example of how a ball in the head can, at the very least, mess up a guy's career. So to aim at someone's head intentionally is just unforgivable. I remember last year when Joba pitched at Youk's head, to the same spot, in back-to-back pitches.

Finegrs are crossed that there is no rain for you on Monday!

Rebecca said...

Hey Dawn, so funny- I almost mentioned Clement too - AND Joba. I actually had a whole additional paragraph about how he's so talented but clearly immature and has so much growing left to do - but then thought I digressed too much and erased it. :)

~**Dawn**~ said...

Great minds. ;-) I will digress for you!