Saturday, November 24, 2007

'TIs the season to be jolly...

It's funny, with the Thanksgiving holiday - my schedule feel a little "off". Of course, being up for 24 hours didn't help much with keeping track of the days. But today is Saturday - and we have one of my nephew's birthday parties which should be alot of fun. It's a bowling party - and the kids are really looking forward to it. Tomorrow, it's Christmas Card picture day...and of course, the traditional transition to Christmas with decorating, and the "Pièce de résistance" - the tree.

This morning I realized it's been sometime since I posted a Saturday survey; and with the official kickoff to the holiday season having taken place, I thought that a holiday themed survey would be a good choice for today. Similar to other survey's I've done in the past but you know how these things go, they all vary on a theme. So sit back, and if you're truly that interested....here's just a few more things about this girl and my favorite time of year!

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
Hot chocolate...preferably with a touch of mint!

2. Letter to Santa? "Dear Santa, I already wrote on behalf of the kids, so this one's all me. Quick question for you...does the whole "naughty/nice" thing have to apply to grownups too? Because truly, I'm a little bored of the "nice" thing right now. I've got plenty of nice...could use a little naughty. A girl needs a break now and then, wouldn't you agree? Are there levels to this naughtiness thing? Just curious...Anyhow. I truly don't need much. Surprise me -- I love surprises. Could we talk about Jason Varitek somehow ending up under my tree....even for just, 10 minutes? I can definitely suppress the whole "naughty" thing if that's what it takes. Let's talk. Love you, and always a believer....Rebecca."

3. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? Santa always wraps! And puts bows on...curly ribbon sometimes too. It's no fun for the kiddies if there's no wrapping to undo!

4. Colored lights on your tree/house or white? I'm a traditionalist, leaning towards the white. I used to be a multi color light kind of girl - but then I realized that the ornaments show up better with plain white. It makes them standout rather than get lost in all the color.

5. Do you hang mistletoe? No. And interestingly enough, I've never had anyone kiss me under it either... maybe it's because I've never hung it?

6. When do you put your decorations up? The Saturday or Sunday immediately following Thanksgiving.

7. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Truthfully, I make something different every year - I try to keep it interesting. But I guess ham might be one of them since I almost always include a ham in the menu. I love the stuffed scallops I make too though.

8. Favorite holiday memory as a child? Making play doh ornaments with my mother.

9. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? What truth about Santa? Is he diabetic? Should I not be leaving out cookies??? I've often wondered why he doesn't eat them all...

10. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No, I don't like to do that. When I was little we always did, I'd always ask. But as a grown up -- no. Guess I acquired patience somewhere along the line....

11. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? I'm discovering a whole new appreciation for coordinated chaos. Having the kids help is the whole fun...but the type A in me is just realizing that I can enjoy it, truly. It's eclectic I guess...leans towards the Victorian side with the colors, has some "fou fou" with feathered ornaments; but remains traditional as well with handmade ornaments made by my Mom as well as traditional figurine ornaments.

12. Can you ice skate? Yes, I love love love it!!! Hoping to get to the Duck Pond -- maybe next Sunday?? I wish I had more time to go - but it just seems like once a year is the only time anymore.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I think my favorite gift ever was a cookbook that my parents made for me about 10 years ago now. It's got all their own "tried and true" recipes, plus a ton that my mom found online for me and printed out. I use it all the time still -- and about 6 years ago or so, in a non-gift related fashion - my Mother added to it with all sorts of crock pot recipes.

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Being with my family.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Obviously, anything with peanut butter. Outside of that, love love love chocolate pudding pie --so simple, and yet so flipping good.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Most definitely the decorating of the tree.

17. What tops your tree? A teddy bear angel that my Mom made, I don't know -- 25 years ago maybe? She always made crafts and would sell them at shows...but this one was either an extra one, or it didn't sell - I can't remember which. But I loved it -- It was one of the few things I asked for when I first moved out. And it's been on my tree every year since I was 18.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Love to give. Definitely my favorite. But it always feels nice to receive a little something as well...

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Traditional, I'd have to say "Little Drummer Boy" or "What child is this". Contemporary, I'd have to say "Little Drummer Boy" with Bing Crosby and David Bowie - as well as "Christmas in Sarajevo" by Transiberian Orchestra. New/Original, then I'd say "Believe" by Josh Groban.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Yum! How can you not love a candy cane? Not only do they taste great - but they make your breath sweet and minty too! Who can't appreciate a candy that multi tasks?!?!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Ha! That avatar of yours didn't waste any time getting her tree up, did she?

This is one of my favorite memes I've seen. I want to come to your house for Christmas now.

Thomas said...

Again, another enjoyable post. You mentioned one of my favorite Christmas songs 'What Child is This', I can listen to that song in most any form it's performed. Although, I would have to say that Harry Connick Jr. does my all-time favorite version of this song off of his 'When My Heart Finds Christmas' CD.

BTW, spent Thanksgiving at my brother's place on the upper-west side of NYC. Did Macy's day parade and the works, it was a great time. I represented my beloved Red Sox with pride by wearing my hat all around Manhattan. Let me just say that these Yankee fans here didn't talk a lot trash. What could they say, we're the champs!!

Be well...

Susan said...

I put my tree up already, did you? Ha, Ha.